Author Topic: Constant On-Acces Siren  (Read 3852 times)

Laurey

Constant On-Acces Siren
« on: June 17, 2005, 09:51:49 PM »
Hi there
I have used Avast for a LONG time now and it has proved super - up until now, on my husbands home computer, everytime he turns on (read - gains Internet access) the Siren goes and warns him of an On-Access threat - about 6 or more times in a row - each with a different warning!!! Every time he takes the advice and Moves To Chest. But - it just happens again next time.
These are some of the viruses it mentions:

sahagent-cdt1004.exe
Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\trz3B9.tmp
cal Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GPABGHEB\nem220[1].dll
C:\WINDOWS\nem220.dll
Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}

Your advice would be much appreciated. :-*

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Constant On-Acces Siren
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 10:23:45 PM »
Have you tried to delete the temporary Internet files?
To do this go to Internet explorer >Tools > Internet options > Delete files > Click delete all offline content (just to be sure) > click ok.
It might take some time to delete them.

After that, try some antispyware applications (freeware): download, install, update and run it.
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spywareblaster
A-squared
Ewido
Webroot Spy Sweeper:
Microsoft AntiSpyware
X-Cleaner Free

If it does not solve, for antiTrojans see the sharewares bellow (download, install, update and run it, you can test it for some days):
TrojanHunter
TDS-3
The best things in life are free.

Laurey

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 12:24:14 AM »
Thank you - I did a boot scan and it found stuff and asked if it should delete them, when I said yes - it said are you sure/ it is in Windows - so I changed it to MOVE. Now when I turned on again, the warnings did NOT happen! So I think we have done it! My question is, do I need to do anything now that I have MOVED it??
LA

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 03:12:06 AM »
My question is, do I need to do anything now that I have MOVED it??
Where did you move them?
To Chest? or to another folder?
Into Chest you're safe. The virus cannot leave from there  8)
The best things in life are free.

Laurey

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 04:09:39 AM »
The boot scan does not give you that option, so I presume the Avast programme will do the right thing and move it to the chest.
Anyway - so far so good - if I run into further problems I will contact you again - thank you for your time and advice. :D

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 09:48:40 AM »
The boot scan moves malware to a folder called 'moved'. This is not the same as the virus chest. If you do a normal scan, avast! will detect the files in the folder 'moved' even though they are inactive.

Your options are to delete the contents of the folder 'moved' after a few days just to be sure non of the files moved were a false alarm, or to do a scan of just this folder with avast! the program will then give you the option of putting the files in the virus chest.

I assume this is because the virus chest is not operating during the boot time scan. It does seem to cause a bit of confusion if people do a normal scan after a boot time scan: they think malware is still being found when in fact the files have been rendered inactive.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog