Author Topic: Why don't upgrades work properly? - Slow to zero web browsing.  (Read 1769 times)

u1tra

Why don't upgrades work properly? - Slow to zero web browsing.
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:29:02 PM »
After completing the latest upgrade of Avast free (from 8 to 9) I started having issues using my web browser (Google Chrome).

I found that browsing web pages became slower and slower until I could load no more.  I wanted to check my connection by opening the web interface to my router but couldn't even load that.  I disables Avast, and refreshed the pages and boom they loaded.  After re-enabling Avast everything seemed to work fine - that was until the next time I opened Chrome.  Then the problem returned and I could fix the same way.  I come and read the forums and saw similar issues with comments like, "you didn't uninstall first" and "use uninstaller and then re-install" along with comments of people ditching Avast for something else.  I decided to see if this would fix my issue and to my amazement it has!

So my question or suggestion for the people at Avast is: Why isn't this process used by the installer when major upgrades are completed?

Thank you!

olddog

Re: Why don't upgrades work properly? - Slow to zero web browsing.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:08:37 AM »
So my question or suggestion for the people at Avast is: Why isn't this process used by the installer when major upgrades are completed?

I think a lot of us would prefer the installer to properly uninstall a previous version, but there are some issues I can thinkl of that might make that more difficult than it would first appear.

One is the current need for the uninstaller (AvastClear.exe) to run in safe mode, and the other is that for what ever reason, some are opting to install the product in other than the normal C: drive.

I'm sure there are others, and maybe there are ways round the issue, however I note that most other AV products have their own discrete uninstall/clean out utilities.