Author Topic: New virus found  (Read 9659 times)

bassmadrigal

New virus found
« on: June 21, 2005, 06:54:25 AM »
I recently came across a new virus that Avast did not detect. It is the free scanner from http://www.veloz.com. I saw an ad on thier tv and so i downloaded the program and me being cautious, I uploaded it to http://virusscan.jotti.org/ 11/13 virus programs detected it as a Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Wren.i. I was wondering if there was a place on Avast's site or elsewhere to upload the file so they can add it to thier definitions. This is the link of the download REMOVED

I love using Avast and just want to make it better.

Thanks
Jeremy

EDIT: Removed the link to download the infected file
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 08:35:18 AM by bassmadrigal »

MFB

Re: New virus found
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 07:05:46 AM »
Stop-Sign is a evil place to be at.  If you want to send avast! a virus that is not in the virus signature file yet, you must send your infected file in a zip-compress folder and email it to: virus@avast.com

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:29:51 AM »
Hi bassmadrigall,

It is good practice here on the forum not to put clickable links to suspect addresses. We do not want anyone else get infected out of curiosity.

greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

bassmadrigal

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 08:34:04 AM »
Cool thanks I will do that now. And in looking at thier website more they have links for that file at the stop sign website but also thier own. Just figured it would be nice to add it to the virus signature so other users (who don't do as much research in installing things as I do) don't get fooled into installing this.

The thing that really strikes me is I saw it on a TV commercial. This is the first "virus scanner" (I use that term very lightly) that I have ever seen a TV advertisement for.

Hi bassmadrigall,

It is good practice here on the forum not to put clickable links to suspect addresses. We do not want anyone else get infected out of curiosity.

greets,

polonus

I will keep that in mind. Never even occured to me that people would see it and get it, but I guess everything falls back to the P.I.C.N.I.C. error. (Problem In Chair Not In Computer) Everyone has had that error at somepoint. ;D

Thanks
Jeremy

BTW I was happy to see that you use the same forum software as the forum I frequent: http://forum.msi.com.tw

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:27:14 AM »
I belive we can do something about that. I submitted the page URL and files to Malware Research.

bassmadrigal,send the files to mail address provided by FIXER :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

bassmadrigal

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:31:23 AM »
Already done. Is there other resources I can provide file/url information to. I love to use http://virusscan.jotti.org because antivirus vendors are able to look over the data, but not all of the companies do. (Not sure whether or not avast! does)

What is malware research? Is it done by awil or is it a seperate company?

Thanks
Jeremy

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 01:44:17 PM »
Hi bassmadrigal,

It is supposed to go here: http://www.pctools.com/mrc/ to be added to the definitions of the anti-spyware program.
Greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 07:29:46 PM »
As of today since VPS: 0525-2 this file is marked as virus :)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

bassmadrigal

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 09:40:49 PM »
Cool. Thanks guys.

But another question. How good is spyware doctor? In the past I have just used Lavasoft Adaware SE, Spybot S&D, and hijack this. I just haven't heard about it until the post that mentioned the link above.

Thanks
Jeremy

MFB

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 02:32:39 AM »
Cool. Thanks guys.

But another question. How good is spyware doctor? In the past I have just used Lavasoft Adaware SE, Spybot S&D, and hijack this. I just haven't heard about it until the post that mentioned the link above.

Thanks
Jeremy

I don't really like Spyware doctor.  I try the online scanner and it detected like 3-4 spywares that both ad-aware and spybot did not detect.  Zone Alarm online Spyware scanner didn't detect any spyware so I'm guessing that those were false alarms.  I forgot the location to these spywares since it was like a year ago.   :)

Isn't spyware doctor a paid antispyware program?   :-\

bassmadrigal

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 10:38:49 AM »
It is a pay version, and when I scanned it found one cookie. But then it had been a while since I scanned with Adaware and Spybot. And when I used the Zonealarm scanner it detected some false spyware. Namely Freshdownload from FreshDevices. Is there any other databases I should send new viruses (what is the correct plural of virus: viruses or virii??) I find?

Thanks
Jeremy

budd512

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 07:17:05 AM »
what is the correct plural of virus: viruses or virii?? I find?

Thanks
Jeremy

As a medical term, it is virii, but in computer terms it may be either, I don't know for sure. I've read computer books that said viruses, and some that said virii.

MFB

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 07:56:20 AM »
Only virus@avast.com if you want to send the virus to alwil.  It should be in a zip compress folder.   :)

bassmadrigal

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2005, 08:08:34 AM »
Only virus@avast.com if you want to send the virus to alwil.  It should be in a zip compress folder.   :)

I meant for other software companies. Such as Lavasoft, safer networking, etc.

Thanks
Jeremy