Author Topic: Keeping XP after April 2014  (Read 11282 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Keeping XP after April 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 05:02:37 AM »
Interesting summary of AV vendors' possible commitments to XP support here:

"AV-TEST - The Independent IT-Security Institute: The End Is Nigh for Windows XP:
These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support"

http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/artikel/the-end-is-nigh-for-windows-xp-these-anti-virus-software-products-will-continue-to-protect-xp-after/

Yes, however we must be sure not to confuse the facts, As the AV venders will continue to update 'their software' after xp support ends; this does not mean the Operating System in question will be updated with security patches as obviously that will not be the case. :)

Alievitan

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »
Yes, however we must be sure not to confuse the facts, As the AV venders will continue to update 'their software' after xp support ends; this does not mean the Operating System in question will be updated with security patches as obviously that will not be the case. :)

That's the crucial point from a security standpoint.  After April, I imagine you will see a lot of kernel exploits targeted at Windows XP.  These type of attack bypass most local safeguards like browser sandboxes b/c they attack the OS directly and are a whole another level of the usual plugin, browser and local software attacks.  Beside the known cyberwarfare incidents, they were uncommon in the criminal world b/c there was minimum payoff relative to the tremendous time and effort required due to MS' vigilant patching efforts but it is a whole new ballgame after April b/c obviously there will be no more kernel patches from MS. 

AVs can mitigate some of risk, but it is very difficult and it obviously not as effective as MS patching the OS kernel itself.  Just googling about kernel attacks, it seems AV companies track record on these type of attacks is pretty dismal, they always seem to able to bypass any type of initial proactive protection encountered and AV vendors only seem to able to address the problem after the fact when attacks are already occurring in the wild after some time.  I wouldn't have that much faith in AV vendors heuristics to plug the gaping holes in the OS which will only get worse as time goes on. 

http://threatpost.com/using-kernel-exploits-bypass-sandboxes-fun-and-profit-031813/77638
http://threatpost.com/of-truetype-font-vulnerabilities-and-the-windows-kernel/101263 

waking

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »
Microsoft's security patching of WIndows has not always been proactive, it has often been reactive with patches being issued after a vulnerability has been discovered and reported by independent researchers. It's not uncommon for active exploits to be reported before a patch is released.

While there undoubtedly will be new exploits which will not be patched in the OS, it's worth keeping in mind that the vulnerabilities that these exploits will be taking advantage of already exist in the OS. They may have been there since XP was released, or at the very least since the last Service Pack. In that regard, since XP will not be changing, there will not be any new vulnerabilities - only new exploits of already existing vulnerabilities which have not yet been discovered or taken advantage of by malevolent hackers. So we have effectively been living with many of these weak spots in the OS for years.

To what extent counter-measures such as EMET or "Automatic Exploit Prevention" will safe-guard against any such new attacks remains to be seen. Also, to the degree that past experience may be an indicator of future expectations, we may get some glimpse into what to expect with XP from the history of earlier versions of Windows after MS support ended for them (e.g. - Win2K, Win95, Win98, etc.) Was there an epidemic of compromised systems?  The horizon may be darkening for XP users but the sky may not be falling.

rob1552

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I've been trying for the last couple weeks to determine if Avast will continue to support Windows XP subscribers after April, 2014.

Tech support couldn't answer my question nor did anyone on this forum have actual knowledge.

Well, you can all rest easy on this question now because today I received an e-mail from an official at Avast who should know.  Below is his message.

"AVAST will continue to support XP users well into 2016.
Sorry for the complications with late response from our support team.

With best regards,
Milos Korenko, marketing director"

Whether this will satisfy all Avast customers who are using XP, I can't say.  But, since I've been running Avast Internet Security Pro in tandem with Malwarebytes Pro (for four years now), I haven't experienced a single virus or trojan intrusion.  Before then, I would get hit at least once a month.  I also maintain an external hard drive onto which I backup (clone) my entire hard drive once a week.  The electric power to the external hard drive is shut off and is only switched on during the actual time I am cloning.

Rob in Arizona

Offline snowflake1

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »
I use a fully updated version of XP pro for my daily computing chores .  It was new in 2006.  It might sound old, but it runs plenty fast for everything I need to do, and is very stable. My question is,, what can I do after MS drops support for XP in April?

What can you do...do you want to continue to use XP?

Is there any possibility that I could run XP unpatched
, Think about it!! Any Windows cersion CAN be run unpatched but of course you take the risks that go with it .

and be safe?

Do you do any P2P stuff or MSN or similar
How about with the hardware firewall in front of it?

What protection do you wish to keep/put on it ?
Sorry about the multiple questions

No problem but if you do not ask questions then no one knows what questions you have to ask !!

garbin

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments ,  lots of new ideas.