Author Topic: Anti-Theft - Send position data via mobile data connection instead of WIFI  (Read 2204 times)

Offline herrP

Hi,

I decided to setup my Anti-Theft to push GPS positions each minute. All was well and good a few days until I found out that I could not disable WIFI on my phone. This was of course really frustrating at the time since I could not understand why this happened. A little detective work in the logcat revealed that Anti-theft re-enabled WIFI each time. After some more investigation I learned that this was most probably due to my setup with the GPS data reporting. If I would set it to only each 5 minutes the WIFI is re-enabled each 5 minute.

After reading forum post Galaxy s3 wifi/gps keep auto connecting I could pretty much conclude that this was the case.

My question is then; can I setup Anti-Theft to send this data via the mobile connection instead of WIFI? I cannot find any setting for this. If it's not possible... then why?

• Is it because of the amount of data? In my case I have at least 1GB per month at a fixed rate. I can't imagine this data information would ever be larger than say 11mb in a month if each packet is 250 bytes and is sent each minute?
  • Is it because it need the WIFI to determine it's location when the GPS fails?

In any case, it would be nice if I as a user could decide in what way Anti-Theft gather position data and how it should be sent to your servers.

Offline herrP

After some forum digging I found these "similar" topics which, some of them, probably answer my question to some extent...

I still would like to see the user to be able to control the option of how Anti-Theft gather position data and how it send it to your servers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:26:25 PM by herrP »

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
The app is designed to locate lost devices. That's what it's best at.
As the app is already quite complicated for many users, we only add new features or options that are useful for a majority of users.
So, I suppose, we'll stick to the current system.

Offline herrP

Thank you for the response. I do hope you at least take this into consideration for future versions.