Author Topic: Network Positioning???  (Read 1955 times)

Offline awesim

Network Positioning???
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
hi.. ive recently installed AntiTheft on my rooted Samsung GT-I9500 and have been incredibly impressed by the feature set.. i even plan to purchase a subscription as soon as i get my own card.. i installed it on my younger sister's GT-S7262 as well.. only in this case, the LOCATE command doesnt work.. neither via SMS, nor via web portal.. the GT-S7262 doesnt have an in-built GPS unit.. the LOCATE command even fails at times with GT-I9500 as well if the phone is being used in the basement or heavily shielded place.. now i was wondering if the following behavior could be incorprated into this app:

USUAL SETUP:
1. keep an internal list of the following data:
    a. Connected WiFi AP Name + list of WiFi APs in range
    b. current Cell ID, Cell Info, Location Area Code
    c. GPS location (if possible)
2. keep updating this data after every X minutes (user-defined?)..
3. keep a maximum of latest N data points (user-defined?)..

LOCATE:
1. immediately send the following details (maybe one-at-a-time) via SMS as well as upload to the web portal:
    a. IMEI + IMSI
    b. Connected WiFi AP Name + list of WiFi APs in range
    c. current Cell ID, Cell Info, Location Area Code (LAC)
2. try to get a GPS location fix..
3. if that succeeds without timing out, send the map link ALONG with GPS coordinates..
4. if that fails, send an sms indicating failure..

LOST:
1. same as LOCATE in addition to:
2. keep sending the previously saved data points as well, one-at-a-time, labelled by time recorded..

in my opinion, this would give a better understanding to the owner where their device is and has been.. even if the phone has no GPS, or is kept at a place where GPS lock is not effective (a basement or a tunnel maybe?).. Cell-ID positioning/triangulation, whilst not as fine as GPS, is still more reliable to succeed than GPS positioning.. and WiFi APs in range can tell you a lot about the thief's whereabouts..

GPS is the best option.. but do keep fallbacks in place.. otherwise if my GPS fails, i lose everything.. =/

if there are commands ive missed that return this information, do enlighten me.. if not, please do implement these.. you could take a poll to see how many ppl endorse this bit of functionality..

Asim Sohail
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:41:14 PM by awesim »