Author Topic: Flashget - infected  (Read 9266 times)

lister

Flashget - infected
« on: June 26, 2005, 01:19:17 AM »
Got a message from avast - clean install of Flashget
Sign of "Win32:Adan-062 [Adw]" has been found in "C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\~GLH0031.TMP" file.

SO, I can't install it. Version downloaded from the Flashget website

kamulko

Re: Flashget - infected
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 02:01:32 AM »

lister

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 02:08:06 AM »
What's that thread got to do with Flashget?

kamulko

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 02:23:02 AM »
Nothing and all... is the typical good advice for the persons with infected pc
ADDED: I'm very surprised! you ask for FlashGet when you have a malware in your machine?...  ???

lister

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 02:53:43 AM »
I wasn't asking about basic virus removal advice, I know how to remove a virus!
ADDED: I'm very surprised! you ask for FlashGet when you have a malware in your machine?...  ???
That's not it, I don't have - according to avast! Flashget is trying to install it.

As I said in the post, avast! deleted it so I couldn't install.

What I'm asking is;
IS this a virus or another False Positive?
I know that Flashget installs some adware - that's why I bought the license. I assumed that FG was a well known and popular product, so what is a virus(?) doing in the installer?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 02:56:20 AM by lister »

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 03:14:55 AM »
I wasn't asking about basic virus removal advice, I know how to remove a virus!
That's not it, I don't have - according to avast! Flashget is trying to install it.

As I said in the post, avast! deleted it so I couldn't install.

What I'm asking is;
I know that Flashget installs some adware - that's why I bought the license. I assumed that FG was a well known and popular product, so what is a virus(?) doing in the installer?

Avast detected a Adware not a virus. Some programs install adware and if you remove them the program dont work properly.. Maybe you need to the adware install so you can use the program. Dont worry is NOT a  virus it is a Adware as the alert dialog said "Win32:Adan-062 [Adw]".  [Adw] means adware.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

lister

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 03:49:28 AM »
Since when does avast! detect adware?
Soon it'll be 'Jack of all Trades ...'

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 03:56:57 AM »

Avast detect some adware and spyware. But if you want to really remove them, then use a anti-spyware program

lister

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 04:08:54 AM »
That's the point - I know what it detected, I just don't want it to detect spyware (I doubt it will do it well) - it's an Anti-Virus, not an Antispyware.

Now I've got to disable it before installing and then make an exception for flashget. I Hope this isn't the way avast! is going. Firewall next maybe?

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 04:15:07 AM »
That's the point - I know what it detected, I just don't want it to detect spyware (I doubt it will do it well) - it's an Anti-Virus, not an Antispyware.

Now I've got to disable it before installing and then make an exception for flashget. I Hope this isn't the way avast! is going. Firewall next maybe?

Avast has a alike firewall feature called Network shield that analyze network traffic a block attacks made by recognized malware or virus, like worms attack. Avast detect malware, adwares and spyware are considerated malwares

Lito

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 01:27:49 AM »
Got a message from avast - clean install of Flashget
Sign of "Win32:Adan-062 [Adw]" has been found in "C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\~GLH0031.TMP" file.

SO, I can't install it. Version downloaded from the Flashget website

There is another thread about this problem :-\: Avast Pro 4.6.652 finds virus: Win32:Adan-062 [Adw].

lister

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 01:48:21 AM »
Yeah, a month ago. Still registers as a virus though.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 02:32:23 PM »
Submit the file to Jotti and let us know the results, i.e., if it is or not a false positive.
What I know is that fgiebar.dll is a false positive that Alwil won't 'correct' as some companies detect it as being Win32:Adan-062 [Adw] infected.

The paid version should not have any spyware...

avast! detects, as said before, some malware besides viruses themselves... Won't be so bad, will it?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 02:49:22 PM »
What I know is that fgiebar.dll is a false positive that Alwil won't 'correct' as some companies detect it as being Win32:Adan-062 [Adw] infected.

In other words, is not a false positive, is a deliberate positive... :P

About the temp file (original topic of this thread), I'd say it's probably just some temporary file created by FlashGet (while downloading an object), nothing to do with flashget itself...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.