Author Topic: Immoral advertising  (Read 17118 times)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Immoral advertising
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
There is one other person on this thread that agrees, at least partially, with me on the poor choice made by the advertising team.

I did find it interesting that Kaspersky commented in this NBC news segment. Are they also scaremongers?

Are you asking this based on the fact that they were asked to comment or based on what they actually said?

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/54273832#54273832
Approximately 2:24

Sergey Novikov - Kasperky Lab

"All this needs protection, of course, because every, every segment of this huge,
huge, huge infrastructure can be under attack."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 06:42:30 PM by Charyb »

Online polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
Hi Silviu C.

You are a market research software analyst.
When I think about wgen you will make a report to a competitor this  will cover:
Gathered information about consumers
Gathered information about competitors
Provided industry analysis
Forecasted consumer trends
Developed marketing forecasts
Developed data gathering strategies, including questionnaires, polls and surveys
Kept a pulse on current and future market conditions
Analyzed data and provide recommendations
Presented findings to management

I think users here on the avast support forums isn't exactly your target community  :D
as you may have found from their reactions in this thread ;)

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

silviucc

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »

"All this needs protection, of course, because every, every segment of this huge,

The above states something that may or may not happen, which is an attack on some infrastructure, presumably the one that aids the people running the Olympic games, while this gem here:

If you are one of the thousands of visitors headed to Sochi, Russia for Friday’s 2014 Winter Olympics opening ceremony then you will be hacked.

states that if you'll be attending the opening ceremony you will, for certain, be hacked. This is FUD.

Hi Silviu C.

You are a market research software analyst.

Oh wow. I am?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 07:35:20 PM »
The only reason Russia was mentioned is that they are the host country.
Not because users/attendees will be hacked. Hacking takes place at practically
every wifi in the world. avast was using this event to highlight the need to have
your devices secure wherever you are, not just the olympics.

I'm afraid you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

There's nothing new here.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »

The above states something that may or may not happen, which is an attack on some infrastructure, presumably the one that aids the people running the Olympic games, while this gem here:

If you are one of the thousands of visitors headed to Sochi, Russia for Friday’s 2014 Winter Olympics opening ceremony then you will be hacked.

states that if you'll be attending the opening ceremony you will, for certain, be hacked. This is FUD.

You need to not only quote the first line of the topic, but the whole topic including the NBC News video and the experiment.
Otherwise, this can be taken out of context which is how you are using it.

In the experiment, three devices were connected to the internet and all three were hacked. The first line of the topic is a logical conclusion based on the experiment conducted.

Also, the infrastructure is the hardware, software, cabling, etc. that make up the internet. It's not limited to, according to you, "an attack on some infrastructure, presumably the one that aids the people running the Olympic games." This is not something that may or may not happen, it does happen and will continue to happen.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:33:46 PM by Charyb »

silviucc

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »
You need to not only quote the first line of the topic, but the whole topic including the NBC News video and experiment.

I would not need to quote anything if people would actually RTFM. So there you have it. Quotes. Shall I reproduce the whole blog post every time I try to make a point?

In the experiment, three devices were connected to the internet and all three were hacked. The first line of the topic is a logical conclusion based on the experiment conducted.

In the experiment 3 devices were allegedly connected to the internet and they were allegedly hacked. There's no proof of anything in the linked video. Just the NBC dude telling a scary russian hacker story.

Also, the infrastructure is the hardware, software, cabling, etc. that make up the internet.

Whoa! That's quite the extrapolation there and as fact, Kapsersky has a big contract to secure the operation centre of the  Soci Olympics not of the entire Internet. See here for details: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/news-kaspersky-lab-named-sochi-2014-organizing-committee-anti-virus-software-supplier
That is what the Kasperski guy from the video was talking about.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 10:44:41 PM by Silviu C. »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »
You need to not only quote the first line of the topic, but the whole topic including the NBC News video and experiment.

I would not need to quote anything if people would actually RTFM. So there you have it. Quotes. Shall I reproduce the whole blog post every time I try to make a point?

In the experiment 3 devices were allegedly connected to the internet and they were allegedly hacked. There's no proof of anything in the linked video. Just the NBC dude telling a scary russian hacker story.

Also, the infrastructure is the hardware, software, cabling, etc. that make up the internet.

Whoa! That's quite the extrapolation there and as fact, Kapsersky has a big contract to secure the operation centre of the  Soci Olympics not of the entire Internet. See here for details: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/news-kaspersky-lab-named-sochi-2014-organizing-committee-anti-virus-software-supplier

I did RTFM. You quoted one line of the blog post while conveniently omitting the rest. I mentioned that all the material needs to be included.

You act like hacking just can't happen in Russia and that this experiment is a hoax. Brian Williams and the security expert have created quite a conspiracy here. Let me know when Kaspersky chimes in on this. Or, are they also a part of it? I am interested to hear their view on it.

Kaspersky must know of this, they were included in the news story. Why aren't they commenting that the news story and experiment are there to somehow tarnish Russia?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:02:06 PM by Charyb »

silviucc

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »

I did RTFM. You quoted one line of the blog post while conveniently omitting the rest. I mentioned that all the material needs to be included.

You act like hacking just can't happen in Russia and that this experiment is a hoax. Brian Williams and the security expert have created quite a conspiracy here. Let me know when Kaspersky chimes in on this. Or, are they also a part of it? I am interested to hear their view on it.

The blog post is linked at the start of the thread so people can read it, watch the silly video and make up their own minds about it.

I'm saying  that the NBC created a video in which their journo tells a story about russian hackers. No proof of anything is ever provided in the video or anywhere else. Therefore it's just a FUD piece with bias against the Russians. Probably because of political reasons. The advertising dpt. at Avast picked up this dodgy story and built an advert for the VPN product.

I called this action immoral as it tries to sell people on a product basing itself on the FUD spread by an NBC journalist telling a scary russian hacker story for which he provides no evidence.

Nowhere, in any previous posts, did I say that it's not possible to get hacked there. I take issue when people say BS such as "Visitors to Russia can expect to be hacked" like that's something 100% certain.

Let me know when Kaspersky chimes in on this. Or, are they also a part of it? I am interested to hear their view on it.

Huh?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:11:30 PM by Silviu C. »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:42 PM »
@ Silviu C.  Give it a rest. You are fighting a fight you cannot win.
                  It seems that everyone but you knows how to use logic
                  to reach an intelligent conclusion. You keep changing your
                  position to suit your needs rather than looking at the big picture.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

silviucc

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »
Actually the only thing I'm seeing is part of the Avast evangelist core attacking me in an attempt to save face for the company they... evangelize for. My position has been the same since the first post. Don't believe me? Read the whole thread. Simple enough.

It's not about winning or losing anything. It's about a company trying to bank on FUD spread by mainstream media.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
Actually the only thing I'm seeing is part of the Avast evangelist core attacking me in an attempt to save face for the company they... evangelize for.
having a different opinion is not attack

and evangelist is just a title you recive when you pass a certain amount of posts....

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:29 AM »
You are, quite obviously, missing the main point. That security of any device is of the utmost importance.
The fact that an independent TV network ran the piece just solidifies the point. The fact that it ran just before
the olympics highlighted this point. Maybe now people will take computer and other device(s) security
more seriously. Personally I applaud avast for keeping this form of security front and center. You should too.

By the way we are "not" attacking you. You just dug a hole you can't seem to climb out of.
Besides did you really expect us to "not" defend avast.
You started it and you should end it.

If you don't like it take your security needs to an inferior product.
I'm sure you will find something there to complain about.

silviucc

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:48 AM »
Actually the only thing I'm seeing is part of the Avast evangelist core attacking me in an attempt to save face for the company they... evangelize for.
having a different opinion is not attack

It is when they say things like " everyone but you knows how to use logic to reach an intelligent conclusion." You know, just keeping it classy.

You are, quite obviously, missing the main point.

Actually, you might be missing it.

The fact that an independent TV network ran the piece just solidifies the point. The fact that it ran just before
the olympics highlighted this point.

Calling NBC "independent" is quite hilarious. Also, they did not "run" the story. They produced it.

Maybe now people will take computer and other device(s) security
more seriously. Personally I applaud avast for keeping this form of security front and center. You should too.

Do what now? Applaud Avast? No, no I won't. Maybe next time, when they do something worthy.

By the way we are "not" attacking you. You just dug a hole you can't seem to climb out of.
Besides did you really expect us to "not" defend avast.
You started it and you should end it.

They could combat the arguments. Questioning my ability to reason is quite another thing.

If you don't like it take your security needs to an inferior product.
I'm sure you will find something there to complain about.

You may want to read the topic again buddy. I was not complaining about the quality of the software product or the VPN offering.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:29:13 AM by Silviu C. »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 12:24:35 AM »
ok... we now know what you think, and you know what we think

this topic is going nowhere so end it here.    ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
ok... we now know what you think, and you know what we think

this topic is going nowhere so end it here.    ;)

Amen. 

That would be a class act.