Author Topic: How do I move avast to programs from downloads  (Read 6065 times)

cv

How do I move avast to programs from downloads
« on: February 07, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
I installed avast for the first time this week and keep getting an ! notice stating avast cannot start firewall. After 3 days of waiting and bouncing emails to support the final instruction was to go to programs and click repair. But avast is in downloads and not programs but downloads say it is programs (make sense?). I hope that makes sense and someone here can help I don't want to wait another day or more for support. I am not a complete novice but far from expert with a computer. Thank you in advance

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How do I move avast to programs from downloads
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »
Control panel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall/change > repair option.....wait a minute and reboot

Did you remove your previous used AV before installing avast?

General: Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software   http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:45:11 AM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:27:29 AM »
I installed avast for the first time this week and keep getting an ! notice stating avast cannot start firewall. After 3 days of waiting and bouncing emails to support the final instruction was to go to programs and click repair. But avast is in downloads and not programs but downloads say it is programs (make sense?). I hope that makes sense and someone here can help I don't want to wait another day or more for support. I am not a complete novice but far from expert with a computer. Thank you in advance

It can only be in downloads (and that location is somewhat ambiguous, downloads where) if the user chose that as the installation location ?

By default avast is installed in the program Files folder - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast.

Some assumptions as you didn't say what OS you are using (?), so this is based on win7.
If some reading between the lines, do you mean that avast isn't listed in the Control Panel > Programs and Features or the Start button, All Programs ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cv

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Thank you for your replies. David R your correct. Avast is not in programs. I do not remember seeing the option to save it in program but I guess I missed it. The laptop uses windows 7. Now I think the question is how to move avast to programs so the firewall can be turned on. Thanks again

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »
I asked some questions, these are to try and clarify your issue and I'm still confused as the questions either weren't answered or not in detail.
You keep talking about Programs and I don't what/where you mean when talking about that ?
The same when you talk of Downloads, where is that ?

The major one being is avast listed in the Control Panel > Programs and Features list of programs ?
If not it makes things more complex as it is an indication that you may have a corrupt installation..

Essentially you can't move the installation from one place to another, you will have to uninstall it from its current location and reinstall it in the default location.

Note: avast allows for installation in a location of your choice (there are exceptions, link not on a removable/external hard disk) and it should still work. If the remainder of avast is working in this 'Downloads (?)' location then so too should the firewall. So there is likely to be something else going on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MAG

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
The OP may just mean that he downloaded avast to his Download folder, as is usual. He will then have installed it using defaults, but the downloaded avast file will still be in his Download folder?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »
I have several programs in my download folder.  When I uninstall a program and decide I want it back I click on the program in my downloads folder and install it again, then it goes to program files.  Could the OP not do the same?

Edit.......removed screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:45:12 PM by -midnight »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »
The OP may just mean that he downloaded avast to his Download folder, as is usual. He will then have installed it using defaults, but the downloaded avast file will still be in his Download folder?

Read the first post as avast is installed (where is the question) as the avast firewall isn't starting (have to assume the remainder is working as the OP hasn't said.

I have been trying to confirm exactly what the OPs issue is.

So for the moment I don't think we should speculate until we get more information.

cv

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »
You guys are great and I am not the best with a computer but I will try to be more specific. Avast is not showing in my programs list only in downloaded files. I don't know how to or if it is possible to move it into programs so I can repair avast to start firewall. I did not know it was not saved in programs I guess I assumed it would know where to go. If I uninstall can I reinstall and try to put it into programs? That may be the easiest. Thank you for your input

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »
Do you have an icon in your downloads folder that looks the same as in my screenshot?  This is for version 9.0.2011.  If you do have you tried to download it again?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »
What is showing in downloaded files is most likely to be the avast installation/setup file avast_internet_security_setup.exe, not the actual avast installation, is that correct ?

Have you been able to find the avast installation folder location that I gave you C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast  ?
You can use windows explorer to look there, or you can do a search for avast software.

Are you able to find the avast! antivirus item in the Control Panel > Programs and Features ?
Also is this what you mean by programs, as I'm still not clear what you mean by this ?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
So for the moment I don't think we should speculate until we get more information.
i guess a OTL log would take away all speculation......

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
Hammer to crack a nut and I feel is more likely to confuse the issue further.

cv

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
I cant thank you all enough. After reading you replies I went back to the file in my "download file" and clicked on it. It opened and it appears I never completed the install. It is all good and complete. I am a bonehead  :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
Not asking in the first place when you feel you have a problem (no matter what that might be) would have been boneheaded (in your words).