Author Topic: MailControl.ocx  (Read 2773 times)

Edwin

MailControl.ocx
« on: June 27, 2005, 04:44:36 AM »
I am using IAM BigBrother to keep track of my children while on the internet. All of a sudden Avast has spotted a file named mailcontrol.ocx which BigBrother uses. I had Avast remove this file and then BigBrother will not run. I did a Google search on this file and it is a file to log key strokes and just about everything else that happens on the computer. I would expect BigBrother to do something like this to be doing its job efficiently. I reinstall BigBrother and Avast grabs this file everytime. My question is whether Avast is being overly cautious or is BigBrother doing nasty things with information it is getting from my computer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: MailControl.ocx
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:04:32 PM »
It is likely to be the fact that it acts as a key logger that may have triggered the response. If this is something that you have used for some time and wasn't to use it add the file to the exclusions in Standard Shield and restore it from the chest. You may need to pause or terminate standard shield to do this.

The google searches are quite clear they believe it is spyware, even though may have installed it intentionally. The choice is yours and exclusion (above) may be the only way round this as avast will be unable to see if you installed this intentionally or if it was installed for malicious/criminal intent.
File mailcontrol.ocx removal: WARNING!!! File mailcontrol.ocx is related to spyware. This is serious violation of your privacy, your system is under security threat.

avast! is not the only AV that will correctly detect this as spyware.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.iambigbrother.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security