Author Topic: trojan blocked or not?  (Read 8195 times)

AndreAerdnA

trojan blocked or not?
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »
Hi, my avast web provider found a Trojan in a web page and asked me to shut down the connections to Internet. I did it.
But I didn't understand if the infected file has been downloaded or not. I scanned my pc and no infected file was found. Should I stay calm?

Andrea

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: trojan blocked or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:57:09 PM »
This sounds like the web shield provider, it scans pages that you are browsing before you actually see them, if it detects a virus, etc. it stops it and displays the warning asking what to do. In this case abort the connection (page/file that is being downloaded), when you abort the connections that data isn't downloaded, it doesn't get on your hdd.

So you won't find anything on the hdd and you should stay calm, but more importantly read the avast help file to learn more about avast and get the best from it. This is obviously best done before trying to deal with an infection when calm is often the first thing to go.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 12:41:52 AM »
When you click "Abort Connection" you are safe.  Webshield has block the trojan from entering your PC.   ;)

budd512

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 07:20:09 PM »
When you click "Abort Connection" you are safe.  Webshield has block the trojan from entering your PC.   ;)

Just to play "devil's advocate," if one clicks "abort connection," can one still surf the content of that page and not become infected. Because on broadband, i don't think it actually disconnects. does it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:06:24 PM »
It doesn't disconnect your internet connection (dial-up or broadband), it just stops the download of that particular data item. So it may be possible to continue to view that page provide the whole page isn't the problem.

But you would have to ask yourself do you want to continue browsing the web site if it is either intentionally or unintentionally downloading stuff like that?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:39:31 PM »
It doesn't disconnect your internet connection (dial-up or broadband), it just stops the download of that particular data item. So it may be possible to continue to view that page provide the whole page isn't the problem.
Just to note: next version of avast will have a new (changed) text for this occurrence, to avoid misunderstanding  ;)
The best things in life are free.

AndreAerdnA

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 09:29:17 PM »
Thank you very much.
I like avast, I think it's the best antivirus software, together with AVG.
However, when I found that Trojan, I shut down the adsl connection, then I clicked "abort connection". It's the same, isn't it?

AndreA

MFB

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 09:33:17 PM »
You might want to remove AVG cause both AVG and avast! won't get along.   ;)

Omar

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 09:49:42 PM »
Just to note: next version of avast will have a new (changed) text for this occurrence, to avoid misunderstanding  ;)

when is the next version?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 03:02:12 AM »
when is the next version?
From two to four weeks as far I know  8)
The best things in life are free.

AndreAerdnA

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 11:58:09 AM »
Yes, FIXER, I know, I'm using avast only at this moment. But in the past I used AVG.
Norton Antivirus is the worst... A real shit.

Andrea