Author Topic: Computer is sooo slow, the Avast cleaner says there is grime?  (Read 6118 times)

abmetzy1

Computer is sooo slow, the Avast cleaner says there is grime?
« on: February 13, 2014, 06:03:25 AM »
I ran this first scan...can anybody help me please!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Computer is sooo slow, the Avast cleaner says there is grime?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:17:24 PM »
It is probably referencing temporary files

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:OTL
[2012/03/07 18:58:10 | 000,002,127 | ---- | M] () -- C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\searchplugins\blekkotb.xml
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Infodelivery present
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} http://java.sun.com/update/1.7.0/jinstall-1_7_0_09-windows-i586.cab (Reg Error: Value error.)
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0017-0000-0009-ABCDEFFEDCBA} http://java.sun.com/update/1.7.0/jinstall-1_7_0_09-windows-i586.cab (Reg Error: Key error.)
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA} http://java.sun.com/update/1.7.0/jinstall-1_7_0_09-windows-i586.cab (Reg Error: Key error.)

[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

abmetzy1

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
Sorry for posting this so late, for some reason I was thinking I had already posted these results. Here you go!
Thanks,
abmetzy

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
Total Files Cleaned = 1,116.00 mb That is a lot of junk

How is the computer behaving ?

abmetzy1

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 01:36:55 AM »
Total Files Cleaned = 1,116.00 mb That is a lot of junk

How is the computer behaving ?

It seems like it is even slower now than it was. It takes almost 10 minutes from turning on to being able to open a gmail email...any suggestions on how to proceed?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 06:41:58 PM »
Initially I would reduce all your startup items to just Avast as you only have 1Gb memory

Use startup control panel https://web.archive.org/web/20131114070048/http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

abmetzy1

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:55:55 AM »

Initially I would reduce all your startup items to just Avast as you only have 1Gb memory

Use startup control panel https://web.archive.org/web/20131114070048/http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Okay, so I added that program...but what happens when I do that? Will this stuff never start again? So, all O do is unclick everything except avast?

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
No, you can start the programs still by opening it. However, given you only have 1 GB of RAM, you might consider getting more, or a new computer.

If you chose to upgrade, it will probably void you warranty if it still exists, and check with the manufacturer to see about compatible RAM
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

abmetzy1

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:01 AM »
No, you can start the programs still by opening it. However, given you only have 1 GB of RAM, you might consider getting more, or a new computer.

If you chose to upgrade, it will probably void you warranty if it still exists, and check with the manufacturer to see about compatible RAM

On my computer last night it says there was not enough memory so I cleaned it out. I took files off too. Computer is still running slow, pages unresponsive, and I can't access a second page when opening from an email, or previous site. Is there anything anyone can help with or am I just screwed? When I turn the computer on and it is on the DOS screen it says I can choose a debugger that it is enabled??? Should I choose that???

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Run a fresh OTL scan and I will see if there is anything else that can be disabled

abmetzy1

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
Here is the new scan...

I tried to put things onto a flash drive to clean stuff out. I tried to put my music on flash drives. But my question is, how do I delete old stuff from my flash drives? Plus the other day I started to run a program to clean out stuff on the laptop that was not supposed to be left on there, but I am not sure it finished. I think it was trying to give me space on my hard drive?

Thanks!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
You now have 24% left on the hard drive which is a lot better, I will now remove some more rubbish and all the tools I have used.  Once that is completed could you defragment your hard drive and let me know how it is behaving

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:OTL
O2 - BHO: (Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper) - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll File not found
O2 - BHO: (Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper) - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll File not found

:Files
C:\Documents and Settings\Amy\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\chhjbpecpncaggjpdakmflnfcopglcmi

[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Download and run Delfix

abmetzy1

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »
I completed the scans and am attaching the logs. I noticed that when I saved my logs to my desktop for convenience that they are also stored elsewhere...should I find out where they are stored and delete them somehow?
Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
Delfix should have deleted all the logs from there locations... If you should find any more then just delete them :)

abmetzy1

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
I completed the scans and am attaching the logs. I noticed that when I saved my logs to my desktop for convenience that they are also stored elsewhere...should I find out where they are stored and delete them somehow?
Thanks

Did the new scans say anything new about what I can do to help my computer?

Did dumping the music help?

I am getting warnings from Avast saying that internet explorer on windows xp will no longer be safe after sometime in April. I was never able to get internet explorer up and running, so I don't know if I have it or not, but it seems like when I open certain tabs IE is what opens them. Is there a way to tell if I have IE totally off my computer?

Thanks