Author Topic: Need The Newer Version  (Read 3637 times)

wxmann

Need The Newer Version
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:36 AM »
I need the newer version of the free Avast but it is much, much too large to download via dial-up. Is there any other way of getting that newer version Avast? Can I get it on a CD-ROM and sent to me via US Mail? We have limited options for other Internet service out here and satellite Internet is much too expensive.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Need The Newer Version
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:25:08 AM »
I don't think that's possible unless you purchase avast! from a store or something.

Try the online stub installer:

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe

It only downloads the components you need and will use a lot less mb than the offline installer.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 02:28:06 AM »
Visit a Library, cybercafe, your neighbours or something like that who do have a decent connection.
Download avast there, put it in a usb stick, cd-rom or something and install it on your system.

naren17

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:56:43 AM »
I don't think that's possible unless you purchase avast! from a store or something.

It only downloads the components you need and will use a lot less mb than the offline installer.

The online installer gives an option to choose what to download before download begins, is this confirmed?
Does it gives options like Custom Install i.e one can choose not to download MailShield, Software Updater, Rescue CD, etc...?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »

The online installer gives an option to choose what to download before download begins, is this confirmed?
Does it gives options like Custom Install i.e one can choose not to download MailShield, Software Updater, Rescue CD, etc...?

Yes and yes.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
The problem is that most of the installer size is taken by virus definitions that get downloaded/installed in any case. So you won't really save much by avoiding the features, they are small (unless you are installing a paid product and decide to omit SafeZone - that one is rather huge).

naren17

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »

Yes and yes.

Thanxx for the info.

naren17

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
The problem is that most of the installer size is taken by virus definitions that get downloaded/installed in any case. So you won't really save much by avoiding the features, they are small (unless you are installing a paid product and decide to omit SafeZone - that one is rather huge).

Avast total definitions size is not big i.e total definition size app under 40 MB.

wxmann

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »

Yes and yes.

Thanxx for the info.

Thank you for the info. It would be kind of awkward to move a desktop PC to the library, but from my understanding it has happen before. Not sure if the the library will allow me to use a USB flash drive, will have to check into that. Would be nice if I had a laptop PC, then this wouldn't be an issue. Box computers are becoming a thing of the past.

wxmann

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 02:46:24 AM »
Purchased Internet Security since it is $29.99 for one year, $59.99 for 2 years and then there was the download button. After reviewing how large the file is and the average amount of time it will take to download (18 to 21 hrs), then asked via phone call if there is a CD for the product. Unfortunately, no CD available. So... I filed a cancel order form to that order. I have a maximum of 8 hours online vial dial-up per 24 hour period.

Unless there is some way to download the file to the amount of time I have - say like with Orbit download tool. Then pick up where I left off and continue the download process until I get all of the 121 MB file downloaded.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:43:23 AM »
All libraries have computers for community use ( possible small fee required ) so I'd suggest visiting your local library where you can download avast onto a USB to transfer to your computer.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
About all browsers have a download manager build in that let you pause a download and continue at another time.