Author Topic: very strange virus  (Read 7123 times)

Linnie

very strange virus
« on: October 16, 2003, 06:17:34 AM »
Hi.  Recently I began to use my printer, which I had never used before.  Three times after I clicked on print, I got a virus alert from avast, only they are three different viruses.
1. ps/mpc-deke-382 virus: not much on the net for that one.  It had infected a temp file.
2. Black worm virus: again nothing I could find on this.  Again it infected a temp file.  When I tried to delete the file, it said the system cannot find the file specified.
3. Happy virus: this does not sound like anything too serious and I will follow instructions to delete it today.  This also infected a .tmp file.

I noticed too there are seven mysterious .tmp files on my floppy disc.  When I scan the disc with avast and other scanners, I can see the .tmp files clearly...yet I always get no viruses (???)  When I scan my local drives with three separate scanners, I still get no viruses.
Everything is working normally, and I have deleted most but not all .tmp files; however I cannot print now and I need to.  I dare not try that again as in each case the alert sounded, it was just after pressing print.

Any help would be appreciated.  Is it normal for scanners to not be able to find viruses?

Linnie

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:very strange virus
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 11:11:23 AM »
All three Viruses mentioned are very old and likely false alarms.

If you still have the files Avast reports as infected you can check them here.
MfG Ralf

Linnie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 06:30:00 AM »
Hi, thanks for that.

I need to know how to stop these false alarms (if that is what they are) because they are preventing me from printing.  They also made the files they infected disappear (the temp files are now gone)  Plus other temp files are appearing on my floppy discs that are invisible and cannot be deleted.  I could only see them when scanning the disc but otherwise cannot see/delete them.  I checked them at the Kaspersky site and they were okay.

If these are false alarms, is it a virus that is causing the false alarms and if not, then what is causing them?  This is very mystifying to me and I need it to stop.  Thanks.

Linnie

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 08:21:05 AM »
You should send the files to virus@asw.cz so Avast can fix these false alarms and wait for the next update, or it should be possible( i do not know exactly) to exclude the files or directory  from beeing scanned.
MfG Ralf

Linnie

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 06:21:53 AM »
Hi, thanks again.  I've decided to pause the standard shield while printing.  So at least now I don't get the warnings.  I think it had to do with a printer glitch as well, because occasionally the cartridge gets stuck...that seemed to confuse avast and produce an alert.  I think they must be false alarms after all.  I think that the temp files created on the floppy disc may have been temp files for the pages to be printed, and when printing was interupted these files were not deleted *shrug* just guessing!  Although they seem largish.  That is the only mystery really.  It should (fingers crossed) by okay now.

Linnie

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 12:52:46 PM »
Another problem with printing? Strange...
Since other people seem to have some problems with printing as well, could you please post as much info about your solution as possible?
If you can reproduce the false alarms - could you move the "infected" files to Chest and then send the files from the Chest to ALWIL Software (there is a option to do that right from the Chest) - preferably with some description that these files cause problems with printing?
It would be nice to solve this problem...

Linnie

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 04:20:27 AM »
Hi igor.  Next time I get an alert (I am sure to forget to pause the shield often when I print  :'() I will try to do what you say.  However, the files that are supposed to be infected always disappear; I got "the system cannot find the file specified" or other messages like this.  Erm...how would I move the file to Chest?  I will attempt to do this if I can.

If it helps at all, the printer is HP Deskjet 690c.
Fingers crossed I have solved this little problem, aughhh! :-\ ::) :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 01:23:44 PM »
The Virus warning dialog should have a number of buttons - "Delete", "Repair", "Move To Chest", ...

Linnie

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 04:31:34 AM »
I see.  I don't get that but then I haven't created an integrity database yet...just seeing if I like avast first before creating it I suppose...making sure there weren't any problems with it lol.