Author Topic: awsSP.sys BSOD  (Read 1855 times)

amarand

awsSP.sys BSOD
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
I've been helping a friend with their computer recently, trying to get Avast happy on their brand-new machine.  Although their situation isn't completely resolved, the workaround seems to have done the trick for now.  The reason why I'm saying this is because on my computer, with Windows 8.1 Pro and the latest Avast Premier, I was getting some weird issues related to latency, video and audio popping and jittering, and just computer weirdness.  I decided to follow the procedure to enable Microsoft's built-in Driver Verifier and lo and behold, I was able to obtain a mini crash-dump within a minute of logging in, which (I believe) points to aswSP.sys as the potential culprit.  Please let me know if and where I should upload this file for analysis.

While troubleshooting my friend's computer, I followed the exact procedures outlined in the sticky thread (to step along with my friend), uninstalling Avast (this was a clean Windows 8.1 Pro installation - no other anti-virus ever loaded), performing an Avast Clean procedure from safe mode, then rebooting, and installing the latest Avast Premier directly from the link in the sticky thread.

Is Avast causing my computer to flake out?

amarand

Re: awsSP.sys BSOD
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »
I also have a (rather large) full dump available.  After running a quick check in WinDbg, I see this:

Probably caused by : aswSP.sys ( aswSP+34026 )

Huh.  Thoughts?

thekochs

Re: awsSP.sys BSOD
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »
Look at this thread and go down to "If you cannot  Boot the computer".
YES, I know it is a VIRUS removal thread but I have PMed one of the experts for you on helping on these boot/BSOD issues.
He will run some utils, etc. to help but will want to see FRST log.
You need to be able to run Farbar (FRST) and post to this thread.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0