Author Topic: Avast claims this is a virus...  (Read 2754 times)

antoine9251

Avast claims this is a virus...
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »
Running Windows 7 with Avast pro v2014.9.0.2016. this morning when I booted up I got a message saying an update was available. The update failed saying 'Avast firewall NDIS Filter_failed'.  I tried 3 times getting the same message. I opened Device Manager and there was no warning by the NDIS filter but I used the update option and still got the same message. I uninstalled and re-installed Avast and it still woudn't download the update. I disabled the firewall permanently, rebooted and the firewall was back on. I called Suppport, the woman used remote assistance, looked through my files and told me I had viruses. She claimed they probably came with a Windows update and were on my computer before I purchased Avast. Whats wrong with that is that I've been using the free version for 7-8 years and went to pro last year. Avast was also the FIRST thing I downloaded when I got this computer. She did say, however, that for $179 for 1 year she could connect me with a Tech that would clean my system  I've scanned this thing with four diffent antivirus programs and nothing was found. I know its the program, as a LOT of people have issues with this particular problem, offering various fixes [none worked that I tried], but never was a virus mentioned. Can anyone help me fix this? If not, paid for or not, Avast is history after this episode.  Thank you in advance.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast claims this is a virus...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:10:11 AM »
Hi and welcome.
Don't pay for any support tech from the Avast 3rd party tech line.
There will be users here on the forum that will assist you with that error.
I do not use the Avast firewall so I will let more qualified persons reply. :)

antoine9251

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »
Sorry in my frustration I forgot to mention that when I reinstalled Avast, the firewall setting told me I needed to reboot for all the funtions to work properly, and 'would you like to reboot now'. I clicked yes and it crashed my computer. Windows startup Repair couldn't fix it but a System restore did. Now I notice the Windows action Center is telling me to turn on my Avast antivirus. Avast claims that it IS on. ...

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
Sorry in my frustration I forgot to mention that when I reinstalled Avast, the firewall setting told me I needed to reboot for all the funtions to work properly, and 'would you like to reboot now'. I clicked yes and it crashed my computer. Windows startup Repair couldn't fix it but a System restore did. Now I notice the Windows action Center is telling me to turn on my Avast antivirus. Avast claims that it IS on. ...

Reboot again, see if it clears Action Center

Edit: If you did a sytem restore, I have read numerous posts that this has caused issues with the Avast installation files.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:15:03 AM by schmidthouse »

antoine9251

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »
The reboot did clear the Action Center, but i did the Restore AFTER avast's update failed to download and only in desperation since Avast set-up crached my computet.

antoine9251

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:14:14 PM »
Evidently, no one here knows hat to do, either. I'm uninstalling this avast crap and TRIED to cancel Auto-renewal, which turned out to be another headache and and still isn't resolved. I went to avast.com and filled out the cancel renewal form, it told me my order # was invalid. I called customer care which is what your told to do in their renewal email. They told me to go to avast.com and fill out the form, I told them it wouldn;t take my order # so they gave me a # I never saw before and told me thats the right one. So back to avast.com to submit a ticket to cancel this auto-renewal fiasco. What used to be an exemplary anti-virus evolved into a bunch of hucksters pushing anything they can to make a buck [grime fighter, for one] and making it so frustrating to get away from them.  thank you all anyway.

antoine9251

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
I thought I was finished here but I have to pass this on. I submitted two tickets to Avast asking for either a phone number or some confirmation that my auto-renewal is cancelled cause all I got was a run around trying to cancel myself. Evidently the order was renewed through Nexway . I got an email from Avast offering me 20% off the $179 plan for tech help.