Author Topic: Can one access avast logs from within the GUI ?  (Read 2691 times)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Can one access avast logs from within the GUI ?
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »
This seems like such an obvious request, I'm surprised I haven't seen it before.

Do I *really* have to go trawling through Windows Explorer folders, to find
avast activity logs?  Seems there should be a link in the GUI to open the relevant logs.

Just about every other A/V I've looked at can do this.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can one access avast logs from within the GUI ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:02:37 PM »
It rather depends on what it is that your looking for ?

Some areas have access to the scan logs in regard of on-demand scans.

In all honesty I don't find logs that exciting, my firewall has more logs than you can shake a stick at and it is a very unusual occurrence when I ever bother looking at them. Usually as a result of questions raised in the avast forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
It rather depends on what it is that your looking for ?

Some areas have access to the scan logs in regard of on-demand scans.

In all honesty I don't find logs that exciting, my firewall has more logs than you can shake a stick at and it is a very unusual occurrence when I ever bother looking at them. Usually as a result of questions raised in the avast forums.
You know the kind of thing - I got a message when I opened Outlook Express, apparently avast! deleted
an attachment from one of the messages.  I wanted to see the details, that's all.  If there are no details of note,
at least there's a record; I can see that a certain thing happened at a certain time.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
If you got an alert, try using the 'Show last popup message' option on the tray icon (right click). Obviously if the alert/message has been superseded or you have rebooted that option isn't available.

I would also think that the Subject of the email would also be modified *** Virus ***, etc. etc.

I really don't like this new UI as it is pretty poor in the details side of both the Shields (Active Protection) and Statistics - Component status. I would go so far as to say they are worthless, too much amalgamation and nowhere enough detail. And yes I believe there should be access to the various Reports, especially those involving the shields.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:10:18 PM »
I would also think that the Subject of the email would also be modified *** Virus ***, etc. etc.

I really don't like this new UI as it is pretty poor in the details side of both the Shields (Active Protection) and Statistics - Component status. I would go so far as to say they are worthless, too much amalgamation and nowhere enough detail. And yes I believe there should be access to the various Reports, especially those involving the shields.
Yes there is a message identified with **** virus ***.  I don't like the GUI at all.  I'm not sure what the design criteria is/are,
to me it has a cheesy look, more style that substance.  This is but one example.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »

Yes there is a message identified with **** virus ***.  I don't like the GUI at all.  I'm not sure what the design criteria is/are,
to me it has a cheesy look, more style that substance.  This is but one example.

I certainly wouldn't say it is stylish, just bloody different, not a patch on avast 8 or avast 7 for ease of use and finding things, avast 9 UI isn't even close to 7/8 for intuitiveness.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »
I miss the amount of detail that was in Avast 7/8 GUI that has been hidden in Avast 9.  Some of the stuff is there, but it's hard to find.  Even fine tuning some of the settings is hard to find.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »
I miss the amount of detail that was in Avast 7/8 GUI that has been hidden in Avast 9.  Some of the stuff is there, but it's hard to find.  Even fine tuning some of the settings is hard to find.
I agree, along with DavidR's comments, I think the interface has been "dumbed down"; a sort of whizz bang wow! factor,
over read functionality.  Does avast! have somebody from the Disney channel working on their GUI?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3