Author Topic: all i want is an Antivirus program!!  (Read 3037 times)

roguekiller23231

all i want is an Antivirus program!!
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:49:01 PM »
all i want is a program that protects me from Viruses.

i dont want:

A program updater (Eg Adobe flash updater) handled by the antivirus program.
a website analyser
a website rater
A Price checker (SafePrice)
'Anonymous' information/stats being sent

so how do i disable all of this? and any other feature that i have not yet discovered? all i want is the protection sheilds to do their job, and none of the extra stuff

running Avast FREE on windows 7
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:54:30 PM by roguekiller23231 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: all i want is an Antivirus program!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:46 PM »
When you install the programme do a custom install and select what you want

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
Doing a "Custom Install" is always recommended over a default install.
THE choices of Shield modules and Tools is listed and can be unchecked as desired.
See Screen Shot.
As for disabling things you haven't discovered yet, well that's beyond my expertise, which btw is limited. ;D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:51 PM »
1) Software Updater is a great idea. Up-to-date software have the latest fixes and is good for security.
2) I'm not sure what you mean by "website analyzer"?
3) Many users rely on other people's opinions as to the safety and/or reliability of a website.
4) Most people like to save money on their purchases.
5) Anonymous statistics helps avast produce better products. No personal information is collected. By the way Google, Yahoo and Bing do the same thing.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

roguekiller23231

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:23 PM »
i've had avast installed for ages (about 3 years) i guess the new installer must be better, i'm going to reinstall it.

just to clarify

software updater, i want to remove this feature because i like to keep the software and drivers on my computer upto date, leaving it upto Avast to do i have absolutly no idea when there is an update, i usually get a message from Adobe to say there is a new update for flash or any of the other Adobe components/software i have.

Web Analyzer, the Browser plugin. i'm not comfortable with it, i dont want every site i visit to be logged by Avast, because that's how it works, it will check the site against Avasts database on each site i visit. will i still have the same antivirus protection if i disable it through Google Chrome's Extentions? i prefer to use WOT (Web of Trust)

i know Google take stats from almost every site (even if your not directly going through them), i'd just like to keep it to a minimum, as much as possible.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:14:08 AM »
You can set the software updater to just notify you, it then acts as a reminder, you can then update it in your own time without using the software updater. The default setting is not to automatically update, you have to activate that if you want it to do that.

It doesn't cover every program, commonly this will be internet facing programs and those more at risk of exploit. So it isn't really a bad thing for your average user
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »
@ roguekiller23231,

I do what David mentioned above and let the Software Updater notify me when it's time to update, but let me do the updating so I have control.  However if you don't want the other stuff you mentioned, the proper way was to do a Custom Install as previously mentioned and you will only install the things you want (read before you click any installation of any product to avoid any potential add-on's).  If you are that unhappy, then do an Avast uninstall using the Avast uninstaller tool and follow the directions, then reinstall doing a Custom Install.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
Or...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "change">untick what you don't want>reboot

edit: added screenshot
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:32:30 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ram1220

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »
Rogue I'm with you. I don't want all this extra bloat either. Just either to a custom install or go to add/remove programs and deselect what you don't want. You don't need to explain your reasons to anyone on the this forum as to why you only want the basics.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
It is really simple...
If you don't want things, just don't install them or disable them.