Author Topic: Avast + Java + Runescape = Problem  (Read 6832 times)

Hally

Avast + Java + Runescape = Problem
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »
Hi  :)

My son seems to be having exactly the same problem as this person here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=149507.0

When trying to play... Runescape: http://www.runescape.com/
Avast is giving threat detection warnings about Java.  :-\

Could someone please confirm if this is a Real Threat or a False Positive.
What action if any I should take?
Note: Done nothing so far!
Son just bailed out .. Shut Down Chrome Browser

Being discussed at the Runescape Forums: http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/sl=0/searchthreads.ws

Note: Old School Runescape .. Does NOT seem to be affected.

Thanks In Advance!

RevolutionSphere

Re: Avast + Java + Runescape = Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »
I'm having the same problem, I just turn the Avast shields and then turn them back after I've stop playing.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
You can report a possible FP here: http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mastrshok

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
Yeah I'm having that problem too. Just tried to get on today. I use the Official Runescape Java Game Client and it comes up with a virus warning. I haven't used java probably in over a year.

Pippyspot

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
This is a false positive, there's a lot of RuneScape players talking about the issue, both on the game's official forums, and in game also. I've looked in to other people's posts, and they seem to be saying that it's only Avast! which is detecting this. Also, they think it may be to do with the game's anti-botting system, which could be mistaken for malware as it may watch how a user is playing the game to ensure they are legit :)

Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next definitions update, I also sent in a report about it being a False Positive ^_^

diggydo2

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »
I too am having this problem with RuneScape. I've played RS for 9 years and never had a problem. I've used avast for many years as well and there has never been a conflict with the two. Does anyone know if the issue has been resolved yet that will allow us to use both RS and avast together without leaving our computers vulnerable? Thank you Pippyspot, do you know when the next definitions update might be? I have had this problem now for almost a week.

Equinox

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:11:38 PM »
I'm having the same problem, I just turn the Avast shields and then turn them back after I've stop playing.

Bad idea, false positive or not, never turn off any part of the anti-virus just to do one thing. Although it's almost certainly a FP, it may not be. I would suggest looking at the RS forums and looking for someone's post in blue that said what to add to the exclusions list (it was detailed, not just add "*runescape.com" or whatever it is, he/she made it sure that it's only RS that is excluded, not someone using runescape.com in a subdomain)

RevolutionSphere

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »

Bad idea, false positive or not, never turn off any part of the anti-virus just to do one thing. Although it's almost certainly a FP, it may not be. I would suggest looking at the RS forums and looking for someone's post in blue that said what to add to the exclusions list (it was detailed, not just add "*runescape.com" or whatever it is, he/she made it sure that it's only RS that is excluded, not someone using runescape.com in a subdomain)
I wouldn't say its a bad idea, becuase all you need is turn them off boot up runescape and then you can turn them back on while in game.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:01:04 PM by RevolutionSphere »

Hally

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
Hi  :)

Thank's Everyone For Your Responses!

Son tried Runescape this morning and problem seems to have vanished.
Everything back to normal and son is happy on Runescape again   8)

Thanks!

RevolutionSphere

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »
Glad to hear its fixed  ;D