Author Topic: Word document being flagged as a virus??  (Read 5489 times)

smokescreenagent

Word document being flagged as a virus??
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:45:59 AM »
This Avast thing is about to go out the freaking window!!

I have an assignment from last year that I'm certain is not infected, but every time I point to it on a backup disk or download it from my email Avast is putting it in the "Chest". I've restored and added an exclusion and it seems to make no difference, just keeps stubbornly putting it back in the chest. I really would like to look at my file and it seems like Avast is dedicated to not letting me accomplish my goal, what's the deal here?

The "Virus" is being labeled as "OLE:ScriptBridge-inf[Trj]"

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Word document being flagged as a virus??
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:27:40 AM »
are you able to upload and test the file here  www.virustotal.com    if tested before, click new scan
post link to result here

OLE:ScriptBridge-inf[Trj] is also called CVE_2013_1331.A   http://cyvera.com/cve-2013-1331-a-zero-day-disclosed/

smokescreenagent

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
On my workstation with Avast installed the moment I download, copy, or even point at the file it puts it into the chest. I have a copy of the document stored in my gmail outbox, and could probably use a machine without Avast to download and check on that website, but looking at the link you provided makes me think it might actually be a real threat(?).

It's weird because it's a file I created a while back, thinking fall of 2012, and it sat on my external drive undetected until I went to make a backup. It was a cool paper and I just want to read it, which is unfortunate because I'm essentially locked out of my own content. Do you think it's safe to open on a different machine? Or is there a way I can "clean" the file with Avast?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »
Disable avast for 10 minutes and upload the file to VirusTotal.
Post the link to the results here.

smokescreenagent

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
Disable avast for 10 minutes and upload the file to VirusTotal.
Post the link to the results here.

I'm away from my workstation for the next day but I don't recall an obvious way to temporarily disable Avast. Is it somewhere easy in the UI or do they bury it?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
right click the avast icon in the tray > shield control > disable for 10 minutes.

smokescreenagent

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »
No updates yet, still away from my workstation. Kinda thinking it might be a real threat but will try soon. My schedule is nuts but I might be able to try tonight on a different machine, at least to see what virustotal says.

I got a PM asking for updates but the insance PM box doesn't have a reply button, or at least on my safari iOS browser there's no reply option on PMs. I'm a UX designer so I get frustrated pretty darn quick when I can't find what I need...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:48 PM »
I got a PM asking for updates but the insance PM box doesn't have a reply button,
that was me asking how it did go    ;)
you need 20 posts before you can reply to PMs...