Author Topic: Cannot permanently uninstall Avast! Online Security.  (Read 2395 times)

Bartleby

Cannot permanently uninstall Avast! Online Security.
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:52:53 AM »
I've uninstalled Avast! due to the constant popups from Avast! Online Security...they just got old.  The bad part is the Online Security portion won't STAY uninstalled.  It keeps auto-reinstalling as a Chrome Add-On.  Is there any way to stop this?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Cannot permanently uninstall Avast! Online Security.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:13:59 AM »
when avast is/was installed......
controlpanel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall/change > remove avast online security....

Bartleby

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
when avast is/was installed......
controlpanel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall/change > remove avast online security....

I guess I can try and reinstall Avast! to try this, but I'm thinking it won't work.  I uninstalled all of Avast!, but the online security is a Chrome plug in, and I am successfully removing it.  It's just coming back when I reboot.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Be sure to do a custom install that way you can choose what you want installed.
The "avast online security" extension is called "browser protection" during set-up.
 To "not" see update pop-ups GUI>Update>scroll down to "Details">untick "show notifications".
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
Uninstall Google Chrome. Uninstall avast via add/remove. Use the avast uninstall uitility (follow the instructions), and use this tool called avast cleanup tool via here http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/. Scroll down a bit and you will see a Zip file click on that and follow the instructions.

Note: Run the Avast Cleanup Tool in normal mode and when finished restart your computer manually.

After that reinstall a fresh new copy of avast. Restart again manually and re-register your copy of avast.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2