Author Topic: Suggestion: a nice, neat and effective Avast  (Read 1491 times)

REDACTED

Suggestion: a nice, neat and effective Avast
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:28:52 AM »
I heard from many friends that Avast is becoming FAT and SLOW.

I am a big fan of Avast.
In my opinion, Avast should focus on the security field.
What is the point for Avast to include some functions like software updater, trash cleaner, and VPN?

I choose Avast because I believe it can protect me from virus, trojans and malwares.
This is all I want, a nice, neat and effective Avast.

Or, alternatively, Avast can make these special features as add-on plugins.
Users can download and install additional features on demand, not by default.

Also, the idea of Deepscreen is excellent, but the result is frustrating.
Many time, I see users simply disable protect of Avast to launch a software.
I have no idea how to improve the situation.
But a cache for scanned file would help a little.
At least, the deepscreen will not popup every time we launch the same program, while I think it should popup one time only.

Above are my humble opinion.
I have had more suggestions before, but these are from top of my head.

ZeNiX / Fan of Avast since version 4.7

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Suggestion: a nice, neat and effective Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:57:28 AM »
ZeNiX you can tell your friends that all of the shields and additional components can be removed via the change function when choosing uninstall, you also have the ability to do these changes during the install if you choose custom install.

As for the Deepscreen issue you mention you could try setting Hardened Mode to aggressive and see how that fares for you ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:26:38 AM by CraigB »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »
yes, even I started using avast since version 4, it really improved detection rates and I suggested it to everyone. But in the past year, the detection false positives are so high..

even some harmless software were shown as trojan and I need to disable Avast to make them work,
 this even risks me sometimes as I may install some potential virus due to this habit. This was really not the case a year back - when I never turned off avast and whenever I checked virustotal, I found what avast detected was really a virus.

Also caused problem with dota updation in Steam, caused problem in connectify hotspot and the firewall aint saying that it blocked connectify. I refused to believe it was avast firewall as I checked the block logs in firewall and it was all empty..

One thing that dint go bad was that avast was still light weight on system resources and I lucky disabled all the bells and whistles during installation.

Now these problems are found concurrent when seeing the recent avtest report where avast got only "Certified" this time(almost out of the league), while got an "Advanced plus" last time and most of the other previous times.

Avira was like neck to neck with avast but I stuck to avast for its bootime scan and user friendly UI.

Now avira remains the same while avast degraded.
(plus the forums gone down too)

I havent been posting in forums really long time cos there was no issues.. but nw I just wanted to know u guys how I feel about avast and I dont want a good antivirus go down.. after using it for so long..

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:53:23 AM »
Thanks to CraigB for your advices.
I will try them later.

Yes, I was so sad to see the recent avtest report.
Avast got lower awards due to high rate of false alarms.

Also, I agree to Ho-chi-minh. I have the same experience for a long time.
Especially when I want to use ICS (internet connection sharing) or VPN on my Windows 8.1 x64, I have to turn off Avast.
I am a Taiwanese working in China.

Without VPN, I am unable to access many sites including facebook and yahoo.
Now, it is even difficult to access to Google from China this month.