Author Topic: Avast 2014 opt out security for some applications  (Read 2411 times)

REDACTED

Avast 2014 opt out security for some applications
« on: July 04, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
I am using the trial on Avast 2014 and have to make the decision whether purchase it or not. 

I trade stocks with applications installed in my computer that connect up, load and download massive amounts of data to the exchanges per at milliseconds and I noticed that Avast slows down the process.  This is not acceptable since the orders placed and exits of positions take longer to occur and that cost money.

This exchanges are totally trustworthy regarding viruses and other invasive critters. 

Is there a way to exclude them from being scanned by AVAST while it continues working?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast 2014 opt out security for some applications
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »
Yes... GUI>Settings>Antivirus>scroll down to and make the proper "URL" exclusions.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 07:36:29 PM »
Yes... GUI>Settings>Antivirus>scroll down to and make the proper "URL" exclusions.
Thank you Para-Noid.  I just followed your instructions.

I'll see if this is all I need.  This is a complex application that operates from several little programs in the computer (I know nothing about how computers function) and, then is the data that is received back from the exchanges through before mentioned applications.

Hope it works

Thanks again

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:07 PM »
Thank you Para-Noid.  I just followed your instructions.

I'll see if this is all I need.  This is a complex application that operates from several little programs in the computer (I know nothing about how computers function) and, then is the data that is received back from the exchanges through before mentioned applications.

Hope it works

Thanks again
I excluded all pathways to this application but I am afraid that Avast still scans as the data flows back and forth.  I can't tell whether is the uploads or downloads of data because the speed and sheer volume. 

I have timed the boot up of the application with Avast able and disabled and that alone takes 25% longer to boot up with Avast able and the little globe spins non stop while connected. 

Is there anything else besides I can try?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »
The forum ate my first reply, so I'm not going to type a lot this time.

Are you sure of which shield it is that's taking the time?  Could be the File System Shield.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 01:56:42 AM »
"The forum ate my first reply, so I'm not going to type a lot this time.

Are you sure of which shield it is that's taking the time?  Could be the File System Shield.

-Noel"

Hey, Noel,  congratulations and thanks, too. 

I followed your instructions re the File System Shield and it definitely worked on about 50% (I estimate) of the process.  Some parts of the ongoing connection do not move the little globe while before the exclusions it went wild.  Still, at some activity of the connection, included the program's start up, Avast still scans.

I excluded 8 pathways in total, all related to this program and I looked through all the settings but I saw nothing else I could relate to scanning exclusions.  I really do not know what I am doing.

I welcome some more suggestions.

Thank you, guys.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:00:11 AM by jmon »