Author Topic: Popup constantly saying "Threat has been detected"  (Read 30505 times)

REDACTED

Popup constantly saying "Threat has been detected"
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
Avast keep giving a popup that says "Threat has been detected". I did a scan through Avast; it didn't find anything.
I followed the instructions on the "Logs to assist in cleaning malware" post up through downloading and running a scan with OTL.
I've attached the logs from Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and OTL.

The popup is continuing to come up....Not sure what to do next.

REDACTED

Re: Popup constantly saying "Threat has been detected"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 01:58:38 AM »
Here is the log from aswMBR.exe

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
Does this occur in all browsers ?

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:OTL
O3:64bit: - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - {318A227B-5E9F-45bd-8999-7F8F10CA4CF5} - No CLSID value found.
O3:64bit: - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - {CC1A175A-E45B-41ED-A30C-C9B1D7A0C02F} - No CLSID value found.
O3:64bit: - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.
@Alternate Data Stream - 164 bytes -> C:\Users\Tine\Documents\Cincy bell Last Bill.jpeg:3or4kl4x13tuuug3Byamue2s4b

:Files
C:\Users\Tine\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI43242

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan.
  • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
  • Confirm each time with Ok.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
Yes, it occurs in Explorer too. My computer is running much slower now.
I tried running what you said in OTL, but after a minute it came up with a box thatsaid:

"Exception unknown software exception (0xc0020043) occurred in the application at location 0x75d0cf69. Click ok to terminate program"

It closed on its own. I went to the start menu to open it again, but the start menu is frozen now. Did Ctrl-alt-del, said "logon process wasunable to display security and logon options when ctrl-alt-delete was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press esc or restart the computer by using the power switch"

Do i restart and try to run otl again?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
Now everything is frozen. I cant open or close anything.   :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
ola eu queria saber cm faço pra desbloqua meu despsitivo pois eu fui faer umatroca de chip e foi blquiao e nao lembro ma da minha senha do ant-teft

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 04:52:53 PM »
Reboot the computer please and we will use a different programme

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Select additions at the bottom
  • Press Scan button.

• It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from. 
  • Please attach both logs generated.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 01:11:45 AM »
Here are the logs for FRST.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 12:44:26 PM »
None of the usual suspects are showing could you screenshot and attach the Avast alert

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.[/b]
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
Since turning on my computer this morning, I haven't gotten a message saying "threat has been detected". I have only gotten one saying the definitions for viruses has been automatically updated. So I can't recall the message saying the threat has been detected to get a screen shot for you...

I do remember the location as being C:windows/system32/svchost.exe if that helps at all...

Since rebooting it yesterday after OTL didn't work, my computer has been running fine. I was still receiving "threat has been detected" messages while it was running fine yesterday, just not today.

I've attached the Combofix log, too.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:29 PM »
If you could confirm the alerts have now ceased ..  Also any further problems ?

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »
I haven't seen any problems since yesterday...so I think I'm good to go.

Thank you!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »
In that case methinks I will send you on your merry way :)

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide  Best security practices Keep safe  :wave:

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
Hi
I've been having same problems, Avast keeps giving me continuous warnings about threat detection, but when I click to see more details, it says Avast has blocked the threat and at times, when I use google chrome, the borwser closed down on it's own! :(
I'm worried, as mine is a brand new laptop. Please help!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »
Hi
I've been having same problems, Avast keeps giving me continuous warnings about threat detection, but when I click to see more details, it says Avast has blocked the threat and at times, when I use google chrome, the borwser closed down on it's own! :(
I'm worried, as mine is a brand new laptop. Please help!
for help, start your own topic ..... how to get help instructions here  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0