Author Topic: WinXP Home Clean Install BOOT SCAN = Error 42100  (Read 5865 times)

Martoch

WinXP Home Clean Install BOOT SCAN = Error 42100
« on: July 27, 2005, 02:59:06 AM »
Hi guys!
 :)

Just clean installed WinXP Home SP2, installed Avast after getting Windows set up, hit 'yes' to perform boot scan, but almost every file being scanned has ERROR 42100 after it...I've installed Avast on dozens of systems, but I've never had that happen before.
I saw this in the FAQ, but it doesn't help me much.
This is an AMD Athlon system similar to others that I've scanned on before.
42100 AVAST_POLYVIR_EXCEPTION   Exception in polymorphic viruses code

I saw many others with this error after performing a search and one user had this:
disabled the noexecute flag and everything works fine.
I'm not sure what my case would do.

So I just go into my boot.ini and delete /noexecute=optin?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:08:29 AM by Martoch »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: WinXP Home Clean Install BOOT SCAN = Error 42100
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:16:34 AM »
Can you wait a little...?
It will be better making a copy of the boot.ini line and add the second with a different name and test.
Didn't you find anything different searching for 42100 here?
The best things in life are free.

Martoch

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 04:27:35 AM »
I removed what I mentioned above and it works fine now.
 ;)

tomsvita

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 08:36:36 PM »
Greetings,
I have an AMD64 Win XP SP2 computer, have been running Avast 4.6 Home for 6 months, did the boot scan once every 2 weeks, no problems until yesterday.
Yesterday I got hunndreds of "error 42100" so I read the forums, go to boot.ini, delete the noexecute flag and.....
I still get hundreds of "error 42100" ??? :'(
Is there anything else I can try?
It's weird because I update frequently or automatically  (Avast, Windows, Firewall...) and the error 42100 shuld have been fixed in the 4.6 version of Avast and til last night it looked like it was
Thanks,
Tom.

Y-23

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 11:52:33 PM »
I had the same problem on my PC P4 3GHz HT, mobo Intel and changing boot.ini didn't solve the problem. Avast uninstallation and installation again has solved problem - everything works fine. In my opinion the cause of the problem is erratic update in the past - this program was installed nearly one year ago... :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 11:59:56 PM »
Before you reinstall, could you please ZIP the whole avast folder (including subfolders) and eventually deliver it to us?

E.g. upload it to ftp://cat.asw.cz/incoming (please note that you won't have READ access to the ftp site, just write).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Y-23

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 10:02:24 PM »
Sorry, but I have no backup copy of that files, during uninstallation they have gone forever...(I should do that, now I know >:( ), but I have an idea - there are many users, who have the same problm and who do some strange things. I suggest to advice them to do such copies and experiment with reinstallation. Regards.

MaDMaN

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 05:22:44 AM »
Before you reinstall, could you please ZIP the whole avast folder (including subfolders) and eventually deliver it to us?

E.g. upload it to ftp://cat.asw.cz/incoming (please note that you won't have READ access to the ftp site, just write).

Thanks
Vlk

Was going to do this...but your FTP is down or no longer open. I'm getting this error tonight (42100 AVAST_POLYVIR_EXCEPTION      Exception in polymorphic viruses code) on a boot scan... pc is acting funny, thought it would be prudent...

I know this post is fairly old... the other solutions I read are older... 2004 e.g. I have not tried the boot.ini fix, this problem hasn't been with me that long... its not a new PC and I have been using avast for a year or so... it would seem strange I have to start editing config files now...

Let me know if you want that upload...

MaDMaN

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 05:24:38 AM »
oh ya I guess I should clarify, this is not a new xp install... been installed for over a year at best guess..

This post's Subject for my problem is incorrect, error is not.