Author Topic: any problems with Avast causing crashes???  (Read 4401 times)

andy1020

any problems with Avast causing crashes???
« on: July 28, 2005, 10:01:42 AM »
Hi,
I run Avast home and I am a fan.  :)
I've recently had problems with my PC giving me the 'blue screen of death.' It's XP so and it gives me a page fault. (for anyone in the know it's stop error 0X50.)
It's a fairly new PC and the only software I've installed is Avast (currently Avast! 4.6.691), Ad-Aware (SE Personal) and Zonealarm (basic). I've configured the webshield to work with Zonealarm as on this site and doesn't seem to be any probs.

I've run a hardware check of my system- no faults. So I'm trying to work out what software might be causing the problem.

Anyone know if there are any compatability issues with Avast or anyone had similar problems??

Thanks for any help!
(chances are it's nothing to do with Avast! but any reassurance that it's not would be just as helpful...)
update- had another look at the log file in windows and aswRdr (that's avast, right?) started 3 seconds before system crash. nothing else happening in log to hint at problem.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 11:28:58 AM by andy1020 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: any problems with Avast causing crashes???
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 12:17:28 PM »
What is the full error on th bsod?
Already use the Microsoft Knowledgebase?

andy1020

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:44:11 PM »
usual "a problem has been detected and windows has been sut down......" etc
only actual error message on page is:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA
STOP: 0X00000050 (0XBAD0B148,0X00000000,0X805B9E11,0X000000002)

(and yes, have checked microsoft knowledgebase, not really helped work out what the problem is)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 08:57:38 PM by andy1020 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 09:57:38 PM »
For each bluescreen, there should be a corresponding minidump file in Windows\Minidump folder. You can pack a few recent ones and send them to vlk@avast.com for analysis (though I'm afraid Vlk is currently rather busy with a special project, so it may take a while to answer).

mudrash

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 06:11:02 AM »
I had the exact same problem.  I uninstalled avast 4 home and the problem stopped.  Oh well, guess I will find another anti virus.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 02:26:19 PM »
I had the exact same problem.  I uninstalled avast 4 home and the problem stopped.  Oh well, guess I will find another anti virus.
Do you have any other antivirus in your system?
Which is your operational system, firewall, etc.?
If you give up, how can we help you?
The best things in life are free.

ISC_Lib

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 10:42:30 PM »
:'( I've had two Blue screens in last two weeks both shortly after automatic updates.  I followed the advice found here and sent copies of the minidumps to vlk@avast.com.

At least this PoJ waited until I logged off for the day to crash.  I run Win XP sp2 Pro, Zone Alarm Pro6.0.667.000, Spyware Doctor 3.2.1.359, and a host of other junk.  None of which is mentioned in the stop code.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 01:37:04 AM »
While the bsod reported here may not be the same problem it seems that quite a few of us (as reported in other threads) have been experiencing random (sometimes more frequent) blue screens since installing the latest point release of Zonealarm (6.0.667.000). 

At least one thread here recommends reverting to an earlier point release of Zonealarm.

See this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=16661.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 03:01:36 AM »
While the bsod reported here may not be the same problem it seems that quite a few of us (as reported in other threads) have been experiencing random (sometimes more frequent) blue screens since installing the latest point release of Zonealarm (6.0.667.000). 
At least one thread here recommends reverting to an earlier point release of Zonealarm.
Some problems in my side too... I thought not but a lot of avast! crashes with minidumps into Log folder.
The computer does not crash but avast! has deep troubles with WebShield + avast 4.6.691 + ZoneAlarm free 6.0.667.000  :'(
Now I've changed to Kerio and I'm testing it... Some features did borrow me, others are very good.
The best things in life are free.