Author Topic: Why is this Avast logo appearing on every Web page even with "Web Shield" off?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline tiosancho

Every time I load a new Web page in Safari, there's an annoying square icon that appears in the upper left corner, with the Avast logo on it.  Anyone know why, and how to get rid of it?  I have "Web Shield" off, so there shouldn't be anything going on in the browser.

This wouldn't be acceptable even if "Web Shield" were on...

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
That's not the WebShield, but Avast Online Security.  I'm not familiar with Safari, but there should be a way to disable it from the browser addons.

It can be fully removed from the Avast install.  See https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145513.msg1056385#msg1056385
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:58:11 AM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Removing the AOS will not lower the protection.
Ofcourse you need to enable the webshield again.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
If you use a Mac check out this board https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline tiosancho

Thanks, guys.  I don't remember authorizing the installation of this crap.  Does the installer do this without permission?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Thanks, guys.  I don't remember authorizing the installation of this crap.  Does the installer do this without permission?
You installed avast so hence you gave permission for that feature to be installed, if you had chosen the custom install then you would have been given the opportunity to deselect the features you don't want or need.

Not sure if the Mac uninstall method is the same as for windows but if you click to uninstall in windows you are given another screen where you choose "change" and the following screen will allow you to deselect unwanted features.

As mentioned above by Para-Noid there is a specific forum section for Mac users https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0