Author Topic: Avast Home works with Windows Vista!!!  (Read 21635 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Avast Home works with Windows Vista!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 02:24:44 PM »
But I guess Windows Vista would be a little bit too heavy to run it properly! It is graphical more intense (more like MacOS X effects) and will require more harddisk to install.

However OS X does not require a 64MB Video Card to install

OS X Req:
256MB of RAM
2GB of free disk space
PowerPC G3 Processor 233Mhz or faster (G3 450Mhz Recommended)

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

PaulCoddington

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 02:53:52 PM »
It's absolutelly not true that you need stronger machine for Vista.
People around me run it on regular mid range machines and it's working superfast with all eyecandies.

Yes, it is supposed to be faster than XP on the same hardware. (Likewise XP is claimed to be 15% faster than 98).

I will probably have to get it sometime sooner than I want to (as a systems developer) - however it may end up in a virtual machine (it takes months of spare time to set up my machine with all the stuff I need on it).

I can echo the sentiment that 'it only seems like yesterday that XP came out' - but more along the lines 'it only seems like yesterday I got everything installed, configured and backed up so I could start doing something useful', and more maintenance and installation is really not desirable at this time (after all, the trap with PCs is spending all the time maintaining rather than using).  Looks at the imminent release of .NET2005 and SQL Server 2005 (heavy sigh)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 08:04:30 PM »
More maintenance and installation is really not desirable at this time (after all, the trap with PCs is spending all the time maintaining rather than using).
Yeah after all, the trap with PCs is spending all the time maintaining rather than using... we all feel this  :P
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 01:11:19 AM »
More maintenance and installation is really not desirable at this time (after all, the trap with PCs is spending all the time maintaining rather than using).
Yeah after all, the trap with PCs is spending all the time maintaining rather than using... we all feel this  :P
And you know how to escape that traped feeling, OS X!
1) no virus worries
2) when an OS X upgrade is released, there is an UPGRADE option that does not screw everything up
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:19:58 AM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 01:55:34 AM »
You are joking me Kyle... What screwing up you are talking about ? There is no screw up if you know what you are doing. Of course there are some kids screwing up their machines just because they have no clue what are they doing. They like to install everything and anything, they have no clue what is proper uninstallation procedure in the first place. I've met some customers (even 40 and plus years old) and they still think that uninstall means, "go find that application's folder and erase it completely"  ??? ::)

Of course there will always be examples like that. I personally never ever had any serious problems with none of my systems. Doesn't matter if I switched from Windows 98, to ME SE, XP or when I do that with Vista. Everything will be just fine as always. Even setting up a new system is nothing. I do that for living every single day. I back up people's personal stuff (selective backups which includes mail accounts, mail folders and contents, documents, other personal data etc. etc.), and even when they switch to completely new system with new operating system, they won't lose a thing. Never, ever. I can not afford to let my customers lose their precious personal data and information of all kind, that's just unforgivable in this business... of course, if you care about your customers in the first place.

Windows are just fine, and it will be for a long time. Nothing will ever replace these wonderful utilities and I just don't believe any other system will ever completely replace PCs... just too many people is sooo familiar with it, you can't change that overnight...

Viruses ? Of course, but that's why we have these wonderful utilities, and these forums, otherwise we wouldn't hang in here, right ? OSX is not invulnerable, Unix is not invulnerable... it's just not many people bother to search for their weak points, but for sure there are many weak points in every OS... there were some in Linux as well... so what ? Should we abandon every OS when we see some flaws ? Firefox stated it's unbelievable stable and practically untouchable fortress... huh, every single week another update... just like IE, so please... there is nothing invulnerable... everything is vulnerable.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »
no Unix is not invenurable. and within the next 2 years we will see if OS X is secure as I say it is as there is a chance OS X Lepoard (10.5) Will be avaliable for non-Apple Machines

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 02:16:48 PM »
Yes, exactly Kyle... so there is no chance we can say something is more secure than something else... maybe at this particular point, but very soon, as soon as those hacker find it interesting to "play with", they will attack even those which we think today, are most secure OSes... that's their food, and I believe it will always be like that... Regarding those upgrades to new OS, I really never ever had a single problem... not a glitch. I even do remote updates to my father's PC, and you all know he is in Croatia, and I'm here in Canada. I never ever experienced anything weird or something. It's just, you have to be carefull and know what are you doing... and most important read those notes Microsoft gives you to read before any update... read what is it for and do you really need it or not... sometimes you have a bunch of really unnecessary updates, so no point of updating your system... for example: Bunch of language updtes for more than 30 languages for Windows 98. Why would I have to update my father's PC with some Korean language updates or something third... but some people never ever read, and they just automatically download and install all kind of crap... and after that, they wonder what happened with their systems... they are sooo slow, they don't respond etc... sometimes you will even see a note from Microsoft: "...if you previously updated your system with that, do not perform this update..." etc. People just have to read more... every single OS is awfully complex thing, and we have to take it into consideration whenever we want/need to change something.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

mtmouse

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2005, 04:42:36 PM »

BTW the Standard Shield will be revamped for Vista. We'll use a whole new driver (instead of aswMon.sys/aswMon2.sys) to do the scanning. We already have a pre-release version ready...

How do I get a copy of that?  I'm on the tech beta of Vista.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 03:18:43 AM »
mtmouse, welcome to forum !

Btw, please use those quote tags, so your posts will be much easier to read and understand. If you are not familiar with text edit funtions that forum engine provides, just ask, someone will be more than happy to explain. I guess, first part of your message was origianl quote by Vlk, and this way it looks like you said those words...

Thanks in advance !

For all those who still are affraid of Vista, or better say anything that's new (we all remember those stories, and stroies about SP2, and today, more than 99% of Windows XP users are using SP2), here is one nice link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/keyreas.mspx

Cheers !

stangel

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2005, 06:14:08 AM »
Greetings,

LOVE the product, I'm done recommenting Symantec to friends and family.

I'm also running Vista Beta 1 (from MSDN subscription) and encountered the same WebShield problem.  If you guys already have a Vista version ready to go, are you looking for testers?  I'd be happy to give it a go.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2005, 06:29:24 AM »
is there a way to test out windows vista for the home users or do we have to wait and buy the product?bri

MFB

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2005, 06:50:19 AM »
Windows One Care is  now in Beta, you can nominate yourself as a beta tester if you want:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/onecare/default.mspx

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 07:01:16 AM »
fixer not windows one care(antivirus,firewall,backup)windows vista operating system.

MFB

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 07:02:49 AM »
fixer not windows one care(antivirus,firewall,backup)windows vista operating system.

Oh oops sorry, I guess I got carried alway.   ;D  But for those who can't find the link to Windows One Care, here it is.