Author Topic: Stop avast DeepScreen from scanning files in a specified folder (Windows 8.1)  (Read 17445 times)

REDACTED

I'm a programmer, and I'm making some C++ programs. All files within "C:\Users\Cody\Documents\Visual Studio 2012" are programs that I made, and every time I compile my program, avast DeepScreen pops up and scans it, and once it finishes, it restarts my program for no reason.

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Add the folder to the global exclusion list.

REDACTED

I added the folder to the exclusion list for DeepScreen:
(Click here for picture)
Yet DeepScreen still scans them. Before I added that, I removed the exclusions that DeepScreen automatically added (that specified each particular file) since if it ignores the entire Projects folder it shouldn't need the individual references.

Thanks for helping!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Looking at your image, it looks like you copied and pasted the path into the exclusions as if you use the Browse or Add button you have to drill down to .exe file level, it won't let you exclude a folder in the DeepScreen or Hardened Mode exclusions. That is most likely why the files are being scanned. Paths would normally require the \* wild card at the end.

Only the File paths tab allows you to select a folder to exclude - now I don't know if in excluding a folder under the File paths tab would also exclude it from DeepScreen scans (I suspect not).

Something that you might try is Enable Hardened Mode and set to Aggressive, this would I believe normally bypass the DeepScreen - worth a check.

But being a programmer it is likely that your newly created program file might get hit by the Reputation services (checking against avast cloud database) as they will be unsigned and unknown as such.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Thanks, I added that folder to the File paths tab and removed it from DeepScreen, and DeepScreen no longer scans my programs! This is extremely helpful!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.

I'm glad to hear that the File path exclusion also applies to the DeepScreen function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

I am afraid it did not work for me  :(
The program cannot be executed as deepscreen forbids it.

REDACTED

even with the filename in the exclusion list, (see image) deepscreen continues to scan every time I reboot my computer !!!! it worked with the free version of avast, but now with the free business version it does not !

REDACTED

Sad to see no official reaction on this yet. Exclusions (doesn't matter if its DeepScreen or any other) are supposed to to work in an intuitive way (why would i want to exlude a file from the normal scan but not the DeepScreen or any other scan in general makes no sense at all - I'd demand that exclude means exclude... and that means from ALL kind of scans). As Avast Business clearly aims to attract business users (which contain developers often), temporarily created solutions with no fixed or switching locations on network paths are really no rarely imaginable scenario.

As for us it is very annoying that DeepScreen exclusions are file based... I need to exclude entire network drives as users maintain their own user profile there and unknown subfolders with temporary builds. Getting the complains about 15s scans each time they debug a new build is kind of a no go which leads to the only possible conclusion: uninstall and search for another software to protect our company which leaves a bitter taste on the Avast company name.

Missing such (include subfolder) functionality and not getting a normal intuitive function that an exclusion also affects subfolders pretty much disqualified Avast Business for us (and many company that host developers).

If I'd be Avasts marketing strategy manager/analyst, I'd actually make this top priority as it also doesn't fit at all to the other mostly intuitive user interface and thereby rather few configuration options which leaves system admins with the feeling of having rather few control in his hands and if things go wrong (DeepScreen for example) with no possibility to fix it.

My 2 cents: this "feature" costs potential customers and even worse leaves a bad impression of Avasts products.

I'll keep an eye open on Avast Business and whenever this functionality got fixed I might be able to convince my bosses to give Avast another attempt... but seriously, the negative impact of this behavior on their opinion about Avast was rather severe.

Kind regards,
A rather unhappy customer.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
It makes sense for the reasons how DeepScreen works.

DeepScreen will get triggered on any executable that isn't recognized as safe by the cloud lookup. Meaning, if you're a programmer, every time you code a new EXE file, you essentially create a brand new, unique, never seen by anyone before file. Which WILL trigger DeepScreen for obvious reasons because new malware has the same characteristics (a brand new file not seen by anyone before). There is no way bypassing this other than excluding a compile folder during production and wait for file to get whitelisted by the avast! cloud once you actually publish it. Or if you have it signed by a verified digital signature, you can get in touch with avast! team to discuss whitelisting. I know it's possible but I don't know what are their terms and if they do it only for big companies or also for smaller productions.

I've experienced the same when I was releasing portable Adobe Flash Player as SFX EXE. avast! DeepScreen was triggered every time because those packages were always unique and never before seen by anyone.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Or if you have it signed by a verified digital signature, you can get in touch with avast! team to discuss whitelisting. I know it's possible but I don't know what are their terms and if they do it only for big companies or also for smaller productions.
Hi guys, see: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB229#artTitle
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Edgar and Bernd,

if you want help or want to say something...
Do it in the correct forum.
This one has nothing to do with the business editions of avast.

As RejZoR said, it makes perfectly sense.

REDACTED

Edgar and Bernd,

if you want help or want to say something...
Do it in the correct forum.
This one has nothing to do with the business editions of avast.

As RejZoR said, it makes perfectly sense.

Sorry for hijacking this topic. I was googling for other people's experiences when hitting this threat describing exactly my issue.

Just to add: ReiZoR did not make sense as he missed the point that there is no possibility to exclude network maps an its subfolders (in Avast Business)... as I wrote: that was the issue why Avast needed to be removed before the angry crowd would have killed me :) I appreciate the explanation and attempt to help though, so thanks :)

REDACTED

This issue is old but has not been solved by Avast at all. What are you doing? seriously!

I tried everything:
  • Disabling Deep Screen: doesn't change a thing
  • Disabling or activating hardened mode : no difference
  • Adding exceptions : not taken into account
  • Disabling all agents : still scanning my executable and preventing Visual Studio from building anything
  • Every possible combination of the above

I paid for this software (even before with the free version it did not work). This will be my last subscription.

Do you guys at Avast actually test your own software? I think not. Do you try to fix and reproduce issues such as this one that are reported by your users? Apparently not. And you still want us to pay for this sh*t? No kidding!