Author Topic: Uruguay 6/7/8  (Read 4418 times)

Whitewinter

Uruguay 6/7/8
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:13:09 PM »
http://home.comcast.net/~Vash_T_Stampede/pol.JPG

When i was doing a virus scan it picked up this file as infected. Concidering its a pc game I was wondering if it was truely infected. I had my friend scan it with norton and others and none of them picked it up. Only Avast is seeing this as a virus. Im not sure if its a false reading on Avast, or if the other scaners arent picking it up. I recently formatted and this is off a direct install of the game. Any ideas?

This is the .dat uploaded to webspace.

http://home.comcast.net/~Vash_T_Stampede/55.DAT

Perhaps it will help you help me.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Uruguay 6/7/8
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 10:24:30 PM »
If you are getting a virus warning that you believe is a false positive, then if you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces).

Give a brief outline of the problem, the fact that you believe it to be a false positive and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.
Or VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Whitewinter

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:27:43 PM »
POSSIBLY INFECTED/MALWARE (Note: this file was only classified as malware by scanners known to generate more false positives than the average scanner. Do not consider these results definately accurate. Also, because of this, results of this scan will not be recorded in the database.)

AntiVir  Found nothing
ArcaVir  Found nothing
Avast  Found Uruguay 6/7/8 
AVG Antivirus  Found nothing
BitDefender  Found nothing
ClamAV  Found nothing
Dr.Web  Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus  Found nothing
Fortinet  Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus  Found nothing
NOD32  Found nothing
Norman Virus Control  Found nothing
UNA  Found nothing
VBA32  Found nothing

Ill zip it up and mail it to them as u suggested

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:45:59 PM »
Whitewinter, most probably (to not say absolutely sure), it's a false positive.
Can you send the file to analisys from Alwil team?
The best things in life are free.

Whitewinter

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:47:18 PM »
i sent it to email that was decribed in the post above ziped and pwed like requested, will they email me back if it really is a false?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 11:20:10 PM »
i sent it to email that was decribed in the post above ziped and pwed like requested, will they email me back if it really is a false?
Thanks... Generally, there is not automatic answers.
This time (summer holidays) use to bring extra work for the virus analyst.
So, the best answers from them will be correcting the detection in virus database (VPS).
To you and until then, just add the file into the two Exclusions lists (Standar Shield Advanced tab of settings and on the Exclusion tab of program settings for on-deman scanning).
Wait a little (some days) and then check the file clicking the right mouse button and scanning it, when virus was not discovered, then you can remove the file from the exclusions lists. Sorry for the 'extra' work  ::)

Whitewinter

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 12:38:37 AM »
 :-\ so i wont ever be sure its a false positive?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 12:44:58 AM »
:-\ so i wont ever be sure its a false positive?
Sure you will... They can answer you by email, or posting here in this thread (did you inform the link to this thread in your email?).
But, really, the best thing is correcting the program and changing the VPS. If you scan the file and it's not detected as virus, so you could be sure it was a false positive  8)