Author Topic: AVAST needs an IGNORE option when set to ASK  (Read 18741 times)

REDACTED

AVAST needs an IGNORE option when set to ASK
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:42:05 AM »
When AVAST is set to ASK if it finds something, one of the options in the drop-down menu should be IGNORE. This would be very handy for false positives. ADD TO WHITE LIST (or EXCLUSION LIST) would serve the same purpose. It's very annoying to have the program set to ask you what to do then not have one of the main choices available!

Offline ky331

Re: AVAST needs an IGNORE option when set to ASK
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
AGREED!
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Oh no... This discussion again... We talked about this a lot of times and the final answer (hopefully) is always security: no ignore option.
The best things in life are free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »
When AVAST is set to ASK if it finds something, one of the options in the drop-down menu should be IGNORE. This would be very handy for false positives. ADD TO WHITE LIST (or EXCLUSION LIST) would serve the same purpose. It's very annoying to have the program set to ask you what to do then not have one of the main choices available!
Simply submit that file that you think is safe to the lab. If you're right, it doesn't take very long for Avast
to correct their mistake. If you're wrong, you'll be happy avast! just saved you from an infection.
Not allowing your computer to get infected is the primary job of Avast so there isn't any ignore option.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
+1 Lisandro
+1 Bob

Files that are legitimate and are used for years can get infected.
A user thinks it is fine and put it on the exclusion list.
So far, so good?
NO! The file can be infected and the avast warning should not be ignored.
Leave it to the experts to see if it is a false positive or not.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Oh no... This discussion again... We talked about this a lot of times and the final answer (hopefully) is always security: no ignore option.

Please stop assuming all users are idiots. An IGNORE option is BASIC. Users like Eddy and Bob and others who don't want to use IGNORE don't have to. Some of us have files we know are safe and have been using for years (tools that retrieve system or BIOS stats for example) and I for one do not report false positives or anything else to AVAST. Another choice we each make for ourselves.  IGNORE is as basic a choice as DELETE.

EDIT: Another example... the constant FPs for Adwcleaner... every time they upgrade the program. Assuming AVAST knows better than ALL users how to keep their computer "secure" is the kind of hubris no one needs.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:33:42 PM by bootsy »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
Please stop assuming all users are idiots
We don't do that, but you are for sure behaving like one. Fact is that over 99% of the users have no clue abut computers/software and how things are working.
Some of us have files we know are safe and have been using for years (tools that retrieve system or BIOS stats for example)
No, you and many others think they are safe, but that doesn't mean they are. You have proven over and over again that you are ignorant, not knowledgeable at all and are living in your own dreamworld. Please stop polluting this webboard and peoples threads.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
Oh Eddy... when will you learn. And btw, those 99.9% users who you claim don't know what they're doing (you and Bob included, I guess) don't have to use the IGNORE option. That's what OPTION means.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:37:51 PM by bootsy »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 10:09:04 PM »
Oh Eddy... when will you learn.
The real question is... When are YOU gonna learn?

You are like a person that buys a car, drive into a tree and blames the tree that it was crossing the road while you can't drive.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »
Oh my gosh!!! Bootsy!!! U again!!!! Just get over with and update it. If it doesn't work just buy a brand new computer probably your current computer is pretty much old and some system configuration or settings may be wrong!!!! I don't know what's really going on!!!!!! On my laptop and I am pretty sure 100% sure other users aren't complaining about the latest version of Avast!!! I am pretty sure all of your programs like adobe reader, java, flash, shockwave, and etc aren't up-to-date. Many users just press ignore to "update later" when ever they  see that an updated version of those programs is available. They even don't bother to see updates for Microsoft updates!!!!!

DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 11:57:04 PM »
Oh my gosh!!! Bootsy!!! U again!!!! Just get over with and update it.

Hey Mr. Sharp... the newest version doesn't have an IGNORE option either. (Open mouth, insert foot... again... and again... and again...)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
Ofcourse it doesn't.
Read what Lisandro posted!
There are very good reasons for it.
It is not there and most likely never will because of security reasons.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 12:37:02 AM »
Ofcourse it doesn't.

So your telling me to "get over it and update" was completely useless, as usual, since the new version doesn't have that option either.

IOW, AVAST assumes their entire user-base -- every single last person -- is stupid and incapable of utilizing an IGNORE option correctly.

This tendency to paint the user-base with an incompetent brush does not instill user loyalty. Though with some of the uber-devotees running around saying "Don't give me an IGNORE option! I can't handle it!" it's hard to blame AVAST completely.

You may be happy to know, Eddy, the longer I post here the more I am leaning towards switching away from AVAST all together, to a smarter (and higher rated) AV. But I do think you should stay here where you are comfortable and obviously belong, regardless of what I end up doing...

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 01:16:20 AM »
Ofcourse it doesn't.

So your telling me to "get over it and update" was completely useless, as usual, since the new version doesn't have that option either.

IOW, AVAST assumes their entire user-base -- every single last person -- is stupid and incapable of utilizing an IGNORE option correctly.

This tendency to paint the user-base with an incompetent brush does not instill user loyalty. Though with some of the uber-devotees running around saying "Don't give me an IGNORE option! I can't handle it!" it's hard to blame AVAST completely.

You may be happy to know, Eddy, the longer I post here the more I am leaning towards switching away from AVAST all together, to a smarter (and higher rated) AV. But I do think you should stay here where you are comfortable and obviously belong, regardless of what I end up doing...

You won't find a better A/V than Avast but if you decide to switch good look finding a better one. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:22:26 AM by Beverlee »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »
Oh my gosh!!! Bootsy!!! U again!!!! Just get over with and update it.

Hey Mr. Sharp... the newest version doesn't have an IGNORE option either. (Open mouth, insert foot... again... and again... and again...)

What part of "FOR SECURITY REASONS" don't you not understand!!!! Open your ears and eyes and brain power!!!! Since you are so concerned about updates and updates. JUST GO INSTALL MSE (MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS)
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2