Author Topic: Strange problem with display brightness after updating to Avast! 2015  (Read 8855 times)

Offline Camo5633

Hi, this morning before I went to class, I updated from my Avast! Free 2014 installation to Avast! Free 2015 via the built-in updater. However, I noticed that I was having a problem where my screen brightness would randomly brighten itself before promptly returning to the brightness that I have it set as when running on battery power. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but it seems to happen very often, and is somewhat annoying. To remedy this problem, I've tried a clean install (twice). The first time, I installed all of the tools that are ticked on by default in the custom installer, but the problem persisted. As of the second clean install, I unticked NG in the custom installer, and my laptop has not had the problem with the brightness since then. While I'm glad the problem is gone, I'd really like the extra protection that NG offers. Any suggestions?

My laptop is currently running Windows 8.1 with Avast! Free 2015 and Malwarebytes Free.
Avast! Free Antivirus 2015.10.4.2233, MBAM Free, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, Google Chrome with Adblock Plus + Avast Online Security, Windows 10 Home, HP ENVY, 2.50 GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU with Intel HD Graphics, 8 GB RAM

Offline Lord_Ami

Re: Strange problem with display brightness after updating to Avast! 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »
Did you get any alerts from Avast? Like DeepScreen scanning etc.

Offline Camo5633

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
No, none at all. Everything was fine according to avast! I know that NG should be capable of running on my laptop; the CPU is more than powerful enough and hardware virtualization is enabled.
Avast! Free Antivirus 2015.10.4.2233, MBAM Free, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free, Google Chrome with Adblock Plus + Avast Online Security, Windows 10 Home, HP ENVY, 2.50 GHz Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU with Intel HD Graphics, 8 GB RAM

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:37:20 PM »
I'm having the same issue and I posted it here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157672.0
What's wrong with avast??

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:15:24 AM »
I've got exactly the same problem, really annoying. Just purchased Avast Premier 2015. Running Windows 8.1

Offline Camo5633

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
From the sound of it, this appears to be happening only to those of us running Windows 8.1. If it would be helpful, I could add NG back into my installation and post some logs later tonight when I'm done with class.

Offline Camo5633

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »
Hi, I had a bit of time before class, so I went ahead and got a log. Something worth noting: NG appears to be unable to create the VM when my laptop is running on battery power. Also of note, after plugging in the laptop to a power source, the screen still flashed to a high brightness briefly. However, it hasn't done it since then as of this post.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:42:33 AM »
I have a solution.

I had the exact same problem where every few minutes, the screen would brighten and quickly dim back to previous brightness level.

Possible cause: the "NG" component listed under Tools for Avast Installation is the culprit.

Solution:
If you haven't installed Avast 2015:
1. Run the Avast installer
2. Click gray "Custom Installation" instead of the blue "Regular Installation"
3. Click continue
4. Under "tools", uncheck "NG" component
5. Then continue to finish install

If have installed Avast 2015
1. In Programs and Features, right click "Avast Free Antivirus" then click "Change"
2. Click "Change" in the Setup screen, then click "continue"
5. Then continue to finish change

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 06:37:04 AM »
From the sound of it, this appears to be happening only to those of us running Windows 8.1.
It happens also with W7

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
I have the same problem, w7 home x64.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
I have a solution.

I had the exact same problem where every few minutes, the screen would brighten and quickly dim back to previous brightness level.

Possible cause: the "NG" component listed under Tools for Avast Installation is the culprit.

Solution:
If you haven't installed Avast 2015:
1. Run the Avast installer
2. Click gray "Custom Installation" instead of the blue "Regular Installation"
3. Click continue
5. Then continue to finish install

If have installed Avast 2015
1. In Programs and Features, right click "Avast Free Antivirus" then click "Change"
2. Click "Change" in the Setup screen, then click "continue"
5. Then continue to finish change

Resolved! Thanks.