Author Topic: Mcafee  (Read 7359 times)

Yinyang4evry1

Mcafee
« on: August 21, 2005, 05:24:22 PM »
I uninstalled Mcafee on my computer and then errors grew into serious errors and it kept on appearing with a Mcafee error that would block the screen. I deleted its registry values but the message was still there. I recovered my computer, not restore. The first time it happened I ignored it, but the second time it's just too far. I mean, do they have a problem with me uninstalling their product. I hate them so bad! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

tim 8)

MFB

Re: Mcafee
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 08:04:05 PM »
Try these steps first:

1. Search for any McAfee files still in your HDD and remove them if possible (you might get one file that cannot be remove

2. Get CCleaner and use the Issue to remove any unnecessary Registry or files Click here to download. (Note: Make sure you make a backup when removing Regitry entries just in case)

3. Click Start>Click Control Panel>Click performance and Maintenance>Click Administrative Tools>Click on Services>Find "McAfee Security Center Update Manager" (It will be like "McAfee SecurityCe...")>Once you find it, double click it and go to "Start-up Type" and click on Disable>Click on OK and then Reboot your Computer and see if that error is gone. 

Note: The last step was given to me by an old friend when I was receiving this error too.  The first two steps are just to increase your HDD a bit.   8)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 08:11:23 PM by FIXER »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 08:23:54 PM »
I uninstalled Mcafee on my computer
Tim, are you experimenting several antivirus in your system? You'll get into hot water...
Stay just with one of them, stay in good company  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 08:55:38 PM »
I uninstalled Mcafee on my computer
Tim, are you experimenting several antivirus in your system? You'll get into hot water...
Stay just with one of them, stay in good company 8)
You should now be finding out that some AVs leave behind lots of debris even when you use add remove programs and uninstall them.

As Tech said, time to stop experimenting, you happen to have found one of the best AVs. Not to mention the levels of support you have already received with the avast forums even when it doesn't relate to avast!

Try getting this kind of support from any of the other AVs, especially when you consider you are using the free avast 4 Home version. Most other AVs provide little (email) or no support for the free product, if they have one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ParrotHead

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 09:58:55 PM »
Ugggg.  I guess I too am one of those experimenting.  But by necessity not chance.  My Symantec antivirus subscription ran out but they wanted me to upgrade SystemWorks which I declined to do.  So deleted all that and tried AVG.  It would not check my mail so I then uninstalled and tried Antivir.  Well, the system shield would periodically shut down by itself and I can't have that.  Uninstalled. Couldn't find a solution to either of these problems.  So last nite I installed Avast.  No complaints so far and it seems to work flawlessly.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I hate installing all these things.  I saw what Symantec did to my system.....even after uninstalling it left stuff all over (though happily it doesn't seem to be causing a problem).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 10:03:34 PM »
Welcome to the forums, I'm sure you have found a good home.
avast! by comparison to some of the AVs you have tried is very well behaved, very customisable, extremely flexible and relatively light on resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ParrotHead

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 10:35:17 PM »
I've spent some time poking around the forums.....very impressive.  Both the participation (quality and quantity) and expertise. 

I was a Norton/Symantec owner for years....back to the DOS days.  Buying a new product every couple of years was kind of like a security blanket.  Finally it's become evident that they are no longer what they once were.  It's difficult to get timely support (they'll charge you over the phone), sometimes they won't respond at all and there are no official forums.  And their once neato 'Norton Utilities" is now a bloated parasite known as SystemWorks (with antivirus) that steals your system resources.  I'm just one fleeing refuge.....wonder how many more out there will come to see Symantec as I have. When people read the upgrade horror stories and learn of their declining support standards.

Edit:  I see that maybe this is off-topic.  Sorry for the inadvertent hi-jack.  Now, getting back to McAfee....... :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 10:39:29 PM by ParrotHead »

Yinyang4evry1

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 03:34:48 AM »
haven't been on a while but
im gonna keep experimenting till February 17, 2005
this year in my horoscope is really bad luck
and it suggests that doing anything is bad so "don't change the oil just yet" it said
and im very superstitious
you guys are correct
the help here is very impressive even if i were to talk about
playing a video game

cheers,
tim

i found a new hobby:
www.mapleglobal.com

internetworld7

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 09:26:56 AM »
Ugggg.  I guess I too am one of those experimenting.  But by necessity not chance.  My Symantec antivirus subscription ran out but they wanted me to upgrade SystemWorks which I declined to do.  So deleted all that and tried AVG.  It would not check my mail so I then uninstalled and tried Antivir.  Well, the system shield would periodically shut down by itself and I can't have that.  Uninstalled. Couldn't find a solution to either of these problems.  So last nite I installed Avast.  No complaints so far and it seems to work flawlessly.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I hate installing all these things.  I saw what Symantec did to my system.....even after uninstalling it left stuff all over (though happily it doesn't seem to be causing a problem).

You won't have to worry with avast!. Stay with avast!. You have superior protection in avast! I wrote the following article yesterday in a Comcast Security Forum concerning why no one should use Norton or McAfee Antivirus:

Hello Comcast community,

Let me begin by saying although I am not an "expert" in this particular industry I do have quite a bit of user experience in this area.

In the offline world a big name or major name brand often equals the best quality and efficiency. However in the online world when it comes to software this is often not true. Norton and McAfee are the 800 pound guerillas in the antivirus industry but are they the best choices for virus protection?

Again I'm not an expert but I have used these products and many others and have read many independent online reviews and conclude: Absolutely Not. Besides being the target of virus attacks themselves, these products require huge and let me emphasize, H U G E amounts of system resources. Often slowing down your PC and functionality or slowing your boot up time significantly. This was the case with McAfee for me. It not only slowed my boot up time but required an undue amount of system resources, sometimes slowing video feeds and streaming media.

Also in my experience Norton failed to shield my computer from 5 trojan horses using it's Norton System Security Suite 2003. To add insult to injury I had to use another vendor to remove the infections as Norton was unable to.

Given the fact that about 500 new viruses are released each month, daily or near daily antivirus updates are necessary. However Norton Antivirus and McAfee Virusscan 9.0 only update once a week (I know McAfee 10.0 corrects this). This can leave you quite exposed to virus infections. Utilizing the New McAfee 10.0 I was recently hit with a very common virus know as "exploit-byte verify". Although Microsoft has released a patch blocking this exploit, McAfee 10.0 missed this virus and it was only detected in a manual scan.

People I haven't intended to write a book and I don't want to bore you so I'll get right to the point although I could go on and on about the inefficiencies of Norton and McAfee.

There are several better alternatives out there and the one in particular that I use and am thrilled by is avast! Available at www.avast.com. No, I'm neither an employee or affiliate of this product but since the release of the new 4.6 version I have become a big fan of this product. The funny thing about avast! is that previous versions of this product did not impress me too much but with this new and updated version it has become a clear winner in my opinion. Oh and need I mention it is FREE for home use! avast! is complete protection for your computer. This is not some demo version or stripped down version of it's Professional version like AVG another well known free antivirus product.

avast! is very light on system resources and provides much better real-time detection than both Norton and McAfee. When you go to the avast! website just click on the link in the middle of the page that says desktop solution then scroll to the bottom and click the link that says FREE avast! home addition and you can read all about the superior protection of this product and download it for free. For what it's worth you can also choose what ever skin or look you want for avast! after you have downloaded it. I for one don't like the default skin so I changed it to the one of my choice.

If you decide to dump Norton or McAfee and you should!, your probably wondering what you'll use for firewall protection. Not to worry the best firewalls are also Free! Just go to www.download.com which is a CNet website and you can either download Kerio, Sygate or ZoneAlarm for free.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 10:24:28 PM »
I wrote the following article yesterday in a Comcast Security Forum concerning why no one should use Norton or McAfee Antivirus:
internetworld7,
Unfortunatly Comcast just offered McAfee AV and Firewall to all of it's customers for FREE.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet