Author Topic: Avst Free 2015 crashes computer on boot  (Read 9166 times)

REDACTED

Avst Free 2015 crashes computer on boot
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »
I installed 2015 yesterday through the internal updater and all seemed well but this morning when I booted up the sequence got as far as the desktop background and then produced a dialogue "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown and is trying  etc. ..."  I booted into 'Last Known Good Configuration' with the same result.  This happened three times so I Restored from a previous disk image.  After all my usual routine operations I tried installing the update again but on rebooting the same problem recurred so it is definitely Avast 2015.
I continue to run on version 2014.9.0.2021 and will avoid any further updates until a revised version appears.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avst Free 2015 crashes computer on boot
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
Delete avast completely (use the uninstal tool) and perform a clean installation of avast 2015.10.0.2208

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
Most of us went through the upgrade in place from 2014 to 2015 without incident, but I agree with Eddy - do a clean remove, then install 2015 afresh.

Additionally, I suggest this:  When doing the 2015 install, go through the Custom install and deselect all the "tool" items l the  in the center column of the installer, installing initially just the 3 shields.

Then later, assuming the system comes up and runs, you can use the Programs and Features control panel to Change the Avast installation and enable the individual "tools" that you really want to use.  I suspect it might be the [ ] NG entry that is causing the problem for you.

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »
Additionally, I suggest this:  When doing the 2015 install, go through the Custom install and deselect all the "tool" items l the  in the center column of the installer, installing initially just the 3 shields.
Then later, assuming the system comes up and runs, you can use the Programs and Features control panel to Change the Avast installation and enable the individual "tools" that you really want to use.  I suspect it might be the [ ] NG entry that is causing the problem for you.

-Noel

I'd also add to this that once the custom install comes up to go into Web Shield Settings & Disable "HTTPS Scanning".
Between the above and this Avast 2015 should be solid/stable.
Once you determine for your system that it "is"........you can then always go back and enable these other items to test.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
HTTPS scanning should be fixed in the 2208 update, if you do have issues it can be simply un-ticked in the settings rather than removing the feature all together.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
Update.  I ran the uninstaller in Safe Mode, rebooted and then did a clean custom install.  I unticked most, but not all the tools.  (Incidentally, what is []NG that you mention as a possible cause?) On completion the screen became filled with white text against a blue background but there was not time to read the text.  (Is this the BSOD?  I have never seen this before.)  Windows restarted and it seemed a normal boot but Avast did not run and clicking on the icon did not result in it loading or running.  I clicked on the .exe through Explorer which brought up a welcome screen which offered to have Avast run in the background.  I accepted this and immediately the system crashed again with the ?BSOD.  Windows tried to restart but crashed immediately again.  I have Restored back to the previous version and am not really inclined to trust this new version.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:01:44 PM »
Further update.  I once again ran the uninstaller in Safe Mode and then ran the latest installer.  When the install completed I clicked on "Finish" and received an immediate BSOD.  Windows rebooted and offered a choice so I chose "Safe Mode".  There was no response to clicking on the Avast icon so I ran AvastUI.exe directly using Explorer and received the following:-

"The application has failed to start because its side-to-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the Application Event Log or use the command-line svstrace.exe for more detail."

I could not make any sense out of the event log so tried to run svstrace.exe but Windows says it does not exist.

NOTE: This error occurred while running in Safe Mode so it appears that Avast 2015 is in conflict with something basic in Windows and not one of my programs.

Can someone please make sense of this episode and provide a solution.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 05:30:48 PM »
The solution:

- Remove avast (also use the tool)
- Install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ runtime
- Check Microsoft update and install all updates for Visual C++
- Install avast

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »
Thank you for the advice but would it be possible and helpful if you explained the curious results I have reported so that I, and others reading this post, can benefit from your experience and learn something useful?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »
Learning from me?
I'm not a teacher ;D
But let me try to tell the logic behind this problem (solving)

Curious results?
Not really.
Computers/software are very complicated things with as it seems for humans a unlimited of combinations.
Even literally 1 bit that should be a 1 but is a 0 can give huge problems.

How this happens?
Just a really tiny change in power or a resistor that goes over it's fault tolerance...

The "side-to-side configuration is incorrect" gave away a (huge) clue on the cause of your problem.
To say it simple:
It means two (or more) things have a problem with each other.
We (you) know that avast is having a problem, that is one of the two.
So we have to find out what the other one is.
Since you updated avast, it is not likely that the cause is (remnants of) another av.
If that was the case, you very likely would have experienced problems before the update also.
You did perform the remove/clean installation procedure.
That (almost?) always rules out something went wrong during the installation of avast.
Ok, so what do we have left as possible causes (the second thing)?
Well we have hardware and software.
Let's see if it is the hardware.
No, not likely or you you very likely would experience problems with other software too.
What is left is software.
I make a difference here between the OS and installed applications.
Can installed applications be the second thing?
Sure, but not likely since the previous version of avast was working fine and you did not mention problems with a other application.
Ok, we have narrowed down to a likely cause, namely the operating system.
avast (as many other applications) need several things to be able to run.
One of them is the Visual c++ runtime properly installed and working.
A non properly working Visual c++ runtime is known for causing the "side-to-side configuration is incorrect" error.

I know that not everything is (technical) correct as I told above, but I have tried to explain it in a way many people can understand/can get a clue on how things work.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Thank  you. 
It is much more satisfying to have some idea of why you are doing something (such as re-installing a component of the OS as here) rather than just carrying out a process and having a result. 
As far as narrowing the probable cause down to the OS you forgot to mention that the problem occurred while running in Safe Mode.  I will approach the problem again tomorrow after MS has  issued the monthly updates and post the results - good or bad. 

I am still ignorant of the mysterious []NG mentioned as a possible cause.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
The solution:

- Remove avast (also use the tool)
- Install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ runtime
- Check Microsoft update and install all updates for Visual C++
- Install avast

Just to help OP..........is this proper link for the C++ runtime ?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 11:26:08 PM »
I am still ignorant of the mysterious []NG mentioned as a possible cause.
NG is a new addition/option to avast since version 2015. It is not mysterious at all.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
It may not be mysterious but what is it?

Following advice I have now done the following:
Uninstalled Avast 2014.
Downloaded and installed Visual C++ 2013 runtime
Downloaded and installed 17 Windows updates
Installed Avast 2015 ----> BSOD !!
Booted into Safe Mode and ran Avast and received same message about "side-to-side etc".

What next?

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
It may not be mysterious but what is it?

Following advice I have now done the following:
Uninstalled Avast 2014.
Downloaded and installed Visual C++ 2013 runtime
Downloaded and installed 17 Windows updates
Installed Avast 2015 ----> BSOD !!
Booted into Safe Mode and ran Avast and received same message about "side-to-side etc".

What next?

Did you try an installation without NG installed ?  ......above I read you did a Custom install but did not say if you unchecked it.
Go to program & features in your PC and under Avast choose CHANGE.....steps thru and in TOOLS section uncheck NG...think it is near bottom........reboot....see if helps.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:04:12 PM by thekochs »