Author Topic: Threat Detected on Youtube videos  (Read 15431 times)

REDACTED

Threat Detected on Youtube videos
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:27:45 AM »
Just today I have starting getting this message when opening videos (not on the home page) on Youtube while using Chrome: 

Avast Web Shield Has Blocked a harmful file or webpage

When I click for more details I get:

Infection Blocked

URL: http://yt.extensionstats.com/v?ms=1&id=nqsaop6qzrg&op=1&eid=dddfjkig&url=https%3A...

Infection: URL:Mal

Process: C:\Program Files(x86)Google\Chrome\Application\Chrome.exe

This is odd for several reasons. I am on a new computer (1 week old) and haven't been on any fishy sites. This wasn't happening as recently as yesterday. I haven't installed any new extensions other than the ones that carried over from syncing my google account (these extensions are: awesome screenshot, adblock, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, Rapportive, Read Later Fast, Image Search By Google, and Stylish) but again none of these were giving me problem recently.

I ran an Avast Scan (nothing found), MBAM (nothing found), and Adwcleaner (nothing found) + Chrome reset and still the issue. I'm not sure if this is a false positive but I wanted to run it by here to see if it is anything I should be concerned by.

REDACTED

Re: Threat Detected on Youtube videos
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:31:51 AM »
I've got exactly the same matter since today, i am feeling like something not usual happened yesterday actually but can't remember what exactly, anyway this is happening when i open a youtube video received on my gmail account.

Anyone else?

Infection bloquée
URL   hxxp://yt.extensionstats.com/v?ms=1&id=5diwpZBueQ4&op=0&eid=kekkiaca&url=http%3A//www.motika.com.mk/francuzin-so-svojot-raketen-tochak-se-trka-so-ferari/&cb=8452579
Infection   URL:Mal

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »
I am getting the exact same thing. Started happening today out of absolutely NOWHERE. Literally was going through a playlist and in a matter of a few videos, these errors started coming up. Scanned my computer with MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware and both popped up with nothing. Really annoying, especially because it decides to speak out saying "Threat has been detected!" Why does it have to make noise like that? Also for when it updates, rahhh!

Either way, please fix this because I highly doubt I did something to make this happen. Maybe it's a commono extension extension like Adblock Plus or something that's causing it?

Regards

URL   hxxp://yt.extensionstats.com/v?ms=1&id=L7Oll5dpM2c&op=1&eid=kekkiaca&url=https%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D
Infection   URL:Mal

EDIT:

Weird.. I just disabled all of my extensions and then it stopped. Re-enabled them all, it pops up.. I wonder which one is problematic... Ugh...

DOUBLE EDIT:

FOUND IT! It appears to be ----- "Open SEO Stats(Formerly: PageRank Status)", one of my favorite extensions :( (I assume you both also have this extension installed?) wonder if it's a false-positive or if they are actually doing something fishy...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:06:08 AM by flip4life4751 »

Offline EllieW

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:22 AM »
I too was getting this yt.extensions message today when I used Chrome .. I disabled the Extension Open SEO Stats(Formerly: PageRank Status) -- which stopped the notifications ...

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 07:22:26 AM »
I have also been getting the same error since yesterday while opening any youtube video. It is indeed very annoying because of the sound and talking voice

I managed to fix mine by trying to disable some of my extensions I had on chrome.
It worked when I disabled Quick Note. To do this, click the 3 lined menu button top right on chrome > More Tools > Extensions
and then Next to enabled, there's a check box. just untick that and you should be good to go.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »
I'm also with the same notification everytime I open a Youtube video. It started today!

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
I fixed my issue. I tested each extension and found the culprit, Read Later Fast by Diigo. I uninstalled it and reset my google sync so it does not reinstall on re-sync. Also uninstalled Awesome Screenshot by Diigo just to be safe and downloaded an alternative.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »
Hello,
thanks for notice. Domain will be unblocked in next stream update.

Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »
Gonna post my log results from latest scan just in case.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
Looks clean :)

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 02:56:32 AM »
Awesome. Thanks Essex.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
Same problem here for the last few days.
I can see a number of suggested solutions by users but It's not clear to me what is avast's final and official recommendation?
What do I have to do as a user?
Thanks.

Offline Ok 1

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 10:56:41 AM »
This popup is still showing up, we disabled/removed the google chome plugin: Open SEO Stats(Formerly: PageRank Status) and the annoying popups on youtube stopped.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »
I have the exact same problem and would be grateful if someone could check my logs just in case.

Edit: Got it! Sorry!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:48:18 PM by bijonster »

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
I have the exact same problem and would be grateful if someone could check my logs just in case.

2014-11-03 23:54 - 2014-11-03 C:\Users\Anna\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.x86.April.2014.torrent

2014-10-29 11:27 - 2014-10-29 11:27 - 00024711 _____ () C:\Users\Anna\Downloads\WinXP-SP3-PL_multiboot_2008-05-04_(SyMiLiOn).torrent

So, I'm going to guess, Windows isn't real, and, on top of that, you have at least 75 more torrent files, if not more (And that's only from the last month). I will decline to pass your case on to a remover.[/u]

Add this to the list of not real Windows files you currently own -_-
14-10-29 11:04 - 2014-10-29 11:04 - 00019801 _____ () C:\Users\Anna\Downloads\Windows.XP.SP3.PL.9w1.IE8.WMP11.DX.NET.FINAL.FULL.Kwiecien.2014-NiKKA.iso.torrent

Edit: You wiped the logs... Be careful what you do online. We don't support Piracy here.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:58:23 PM by Michael (alan1998) »
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.