Author Topic: About Firewall  (Read 3937 times)

lacanadienne

About Firewall
« on: August 27, 2005, 05:00:35 PM »
Good Evening,

I have just installed Avast Version 4,6 Edition Familiale and I wonder whether Windows SP2 Firewall must be desactived or not.

I suppose a firewall is involved in Avast.

Is it OK to keep both?

Thank you
 :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: About Firewall
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 05:14:16 PM »
Welcome to forums  8)
Wrong supposition, avast! is just an antivirus, without a firewall.
You should, in my opinion, get a 3rd party firewall: ZoneAlarm, Outpost and Kerio are good ones with free versions.
I do not recomend staying only with internal SP2 firewall.
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
With XP SP2 firewall you have less chances to configure it improperly. If you don't require outgoing connection control, it is very easy and rather good working firewall.

Jarmo P

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 06:26:57 PM »
I share Lukor's opinion.
You should be perfectly safe with just SP2 firewall.

Only problem is you can never be sure if something is going out, so that is why we who use other software firewalls often recommend the neccessity of outbound controlling firewall.
That is for us paranoids, lol ;)

But I have not found much, Realplayer going out when not needed, windows Media Player too.
Only when I installed Kazaa 2 years ago, did I notice something more aggressive, but even that traffic was just spyware.

With safe habits, installing SpywareBlaster and sometimes running some free antispyware program on demand scan, besides Avast resident, your computer should stay clean.

neal62

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 06:49:21 PM »
lacanadienne,

WinsXP firewall is okay to use as mentioned. I also would recommend another firewall that blocks any outgoing requests from your computer. A good software firewall should be all you need. If your computer is the ONLY computer being used in your house then I would not suggest you get a hardware router/firewall. All they do really is block any attempts from hackers trying to access your computer. They will not stop any malware from entering your computer.
    A hardware routers main purpose is to be used when your running more than 1 computer in your home/business. This has been discussed before on this forum and there are different opinions about it. IMHO you should be okay with what I mentioned above.  I would also recommend that you have other protection in the form of good anti-spyware program/s. These with a good software firewall should be sufficient enough.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 07:01:04 PM by neal63 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 07:19:56 PM »
I share Lukor's opinion.
You should be perfectly safe with just SP2 firewall.
That is not what Lukor said, there is nothing about safety in his reply.
With XP SP2 firewall you have less chances to configure it improperly. If you don't require outgoing connection control, it is very easy and rather good working firewall.

For me the windows XP firewall is only better than no firewall at all, we all need outbound protection otherwise there is nothing to stop your personal data being slipped out of the back door.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 07:38:39 PM »
I shared Lukor's thoughts.

The second line was mine.
It should have been written instead instead of 'perfectly' though 'relatively'.
With the immunizating protection of SpywareBlaster or likes.
Nothing is safe these days ;)

But outbound controlling firewalls can be a bother for many who are not so knowledgeable and aware what to answer. I think they cause more problems for them than worth the added protection.

Depends on the user's computing habits what is needed. For gamesters and other heavy installers, sure outbound protection firewall is desirable.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 07:58:04 PM »
I know the second line was yours, that is why I mentioned it because to others it could look like you shared Lukor's opinion that it was perfectly safe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security