Author Topic: Computer Discovery job with "update existing description fails  (Read 2439 times)

REDACTED

Computer Discovery job with "update existing description fails
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:46:34 PM »
I used the Computer Discovery job with "update existing description" without issue for a couple of weeks. I'm moving the PC AD objects from a "generic" computer OU to departmental OUs. I went back to the PC objects remaining in the Computer OU and updated their description field. for the last couple of weeks everytime I run this job it fails when I have "update existing description" checked off. Are there any characters like "_" that are not supported in this job. I can update the description filed within the Avast Small Office console, but I prefer to be able to pull the information from AD like I used to.

Has anyone run into this issues?

Thanks

REDACTED

Re: Computer Discovery job with "update existing description fails
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »
I am getting/having the same issues.

The job "Computer Discovery" runs Successful when only the discovered domains (my domain) is checked.  If I check the option for "Update existing descriptions", the job fails.  Need help please.

REDACTED

Re: Computer Discovery job with "update existing description fails
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:55 AM »
Found solution to the problem.

The AD description must be less than 50 characters.  if longer than 50 characters the script will error out and stop the job.  I found the error in the log file.

I changed the description of the computer to less than 50 characters and all worked correctly.