Author Topic: Avast suddenly doesn't like several Firefox add ons  (Read 46247 times)

Offline pschroeter

Avast suddenly doesn't like several Firefox add ons
« on: November 15, 2014, 01:51:48 AM »
Today I started up my browser Firefox 33.1 only to find many, but not all, of my add ons have disappeared and are not listed in the Add-ons Manager anymore. Is there some reason Avast would suddenly dislike most of my Firefox add ons and delete them? Is there a way to tell if Avast was the program to delete them? I have a similar question posted in the Firefox forum at Mozillazine and the common thread was they all were using Avast.

Quote from: lukor on Yesterday at 05:38:08 PM

Hi guys,
    thanks to all for the information posted. We have been able to identify the problem now. Browser Cleanup is responsible for this issue. A bug in the component calculating hashes of the extension packages cause (only in some rare cases) deletion of the wrong file - the original instead the packed one.

Sorry for that and thanks again for your help obtaining the repro steps for us.

The Browser Cleanup team is now working on a fix, which will be delivered via a VPS update shortly (tomorrow).

Lukas

So how will I know when is safe to reinstall my add-ons? People, inducing me, seem to be fuzzy about what a "VPS" is exactly. I think it is some sort of virus signature, but since Avast  gets several of these a day, I want to know how I'll know which one was the right one.

By way, when I first had this problem, my first thought was I had a virus and I ran a couple scans looking for it. Having an antivirus program make me think I have a virus seems to me to be a very bad thing. It would have been really nice if there were some sort of log that told me what Avast had done so I could know for sure it was overreacting. I looked in the vault and scan history and there was nothing.

UPDATE: November 21, 2014

Now that the crisis seems over, I have a few words for Avast.
Putting aside the last few days and the trouble I have been through trying to remember what Firefox add-ons were missing and reinstalling them, the thing that stands out the most about this episode to me is I had no idea how to tell if Avast was deleting my files. I checked Virus Chest and Scan History and they both said nothing. This lead to a panic and scramble to find what malware or virus was capable of attacking Firefox and was strong enough to get past Avast.

The other thing that comes to mind is since Avast could delete things without keeping a record, what other files on my computer might it be deleting? One of the Avast techs said it was caused by Firefox XPI format, but how would I know if Avast didn’t like something else? A few weeks ago Avast took a disliking to a program that has been on my computer for years. At least then I found it in the Virus Chest and could create an exception for it. Now I’m constantly nervous and thinking of switching to another program.

BTW: I know what CAPTCHAS are for, but yours are a lot harder than most I have come across. I'm human and it sometimes still takes me a couple tries.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:47:50 AM by pschroeter »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast suddenly doesn't like several Firefox add ons
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »
avast deletes them if you run the browser cleanup tool and let avast to delete them.
Only other time that avast deletes them if they are detected as malware.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I have the same problem and judging from Mozilla forums, so do others:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2888363&p=13876775#

The add-ons are deleted automatically, not via  browser cleanup tool and there are no reports of malware being detected. I witnessed it happen "live" as I was in my add-ons manger list, add-ons being removed automatically.

Something very fishy is going on. I've turned off HTTPS scanning, because that has caused many issues and so far I haven't had the issue since HTTPS scanning went off again.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
Also experienced twice in two days. Did not link to Avast unstil now. Add-ons in question:
Open With
Classic Theme Restorer

Could be linked:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160114.0

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
It removed pretty much every of my add-ons, every one of them very popular add-ons.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 03:34:09 PM »
I guess I'm just lucky again and none of my 33 add-ons on both XP and win7 systems (running firefox 33.1.0) are effected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 03:37:57 PM »
Also experienced twice in two days. Did not link to Avast unstil now. Add-ons in question:
Open With
Classic Theme Restorer

I have those 2 extensions (among many others) in several profiles across 3 laptops and have had no issues.  I have HTTPS web scanning enabled.  I'm currently running Firefox 33.1.1, updated yesterday after it was released.  I'm not using Firefox Sync.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
I am using the Firefox Sync (including sync add-ons) on both systems so if it happened on one it would migrate/sync to the other.

I don't have the Avast Browser Cleanup installed, nor do I use the firefox Avast On-line Security add-on. HTTPS scanning is enabled on the win7 system, but not compatible in the XP OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
I don't have the Avast Browser Cleanup installed, nor do I use the firefox Avast On-line Security add-on. HTTPS scanning is enabled on the win7 system, but not compatible in the XP OS.

Same here, except all my machines are now Win 7.  My desktop WinXP Pro SP3's power supply fried taking the motherboard with it.  I was able to use a SATA/USB adapter to retrieve the data and then image backup the 2 160GB hard drives.  The machine was then taken to my grandson who is salvaging the drives and various other parts that are still usable.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
I can confirm this bug too  :(

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
I can confirm this too. Since the last program update Avast removes half of my firefox addons automatically on every system startup. This is very annoying. Would be nice if some avast official can provide us with a statement about the problem.

Offline catinahat

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 06:24:58 AM »
Huh. That happened to me earlier today too. The catalyst was updating FF from 33.1 to 33.1.1. When FF restarted itself after updating many of my addons were missing. Only my British English Dictionary and WOT were still there. I've had to reinstall them one by one.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
The catalyst was updating FF from 33.1 to 33.1.1. When FF restarted itself after updating many of my addons were missing.
Could it be related to a firefox update then ?

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 01:14:22 PM »
The catalyst was updating FF from 33.1 to 33.1.1. When FF restarted itself after updating many of my addons were missing.
Could it be related to a firefox update then ?
I don't have this problem,but I am updating almost everything manually.