Author Topic: Avast! Free blocked by Zone Alarm when XP boots  (Read 2444 times)

REDACTED

Avast! Free blocked by Zone Alarm when XP boots
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:21:21 AM »
Hello;

I'm running XP-PRO/sp3 with Avast! and Zone Alarm. When my machine boots all seems well, but when I hover the mouse over the Avast! sysem tray icon nothing happens. When I double-click the dekstop shortcut to Avast! nothing happens.

However, I discovered that if I stop/quit Zone Alarm, Avast! comes to life -- the system tray icon spins and I can open the interface. At this point I can re-start Zone Alarm and all works well until... I reboot the box.

I have searched Google and this forum but have not found anything to resolve this.

Can anyone point me to a solution?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast! Free blocked by Zone Alarm when XP boots
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:23:04 AM »
Delete ZA and use a hardware firewall.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »
Sadly, I am getting few problems with Zone Alarm Free lately,  mainly not Avast related but ZA is been blocking a number of applications still even when resetting the software to default and after by trying to mark the applications as SuperUser (Safe).

I am currently still testing an alternative product like Comodo Firewall although I found this is a bit of a pain to configure to be honest.

Hardware Firewall is a must on your Gateway but I dont think this is never enough especially when running Windows machines I think is best using both really.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
@     cecrume
Zone Alarm (ZA) firewall has for some years (going back a long way) has had instances of digital amnesia - with some programs being blocked that are allowed, not blocked in the ZA settings.

Check if there any avast processes listed in the ZA Program Control -  I can't remember what this is now called in ZA - now delete them.

Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
Hi David;

Yes... ZA has lots of program listed -- some, like Avast!, are always allowed internet access, a few are denied, and most I have set to prompt me so I can decide whether to grant or not.

I removed all of the entries and re-booted the box.

ZA prompted for various apps and I granted Avast! access. However, once the box was fully booted Avast! would not respond.

Once I stopped ZA, Avast! came to life. I was able to re-start ZA and my machine is happy -- and all is well for now.

I am at a loss as to why ZA blocks Avast! and how to correct the issue.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
I too am at a loss, but ZA for a very long time has suffered this digital amnesia -  a search of the forums will see this has been a persistent problem and not only for avast.

I gave up on ZA many years ago and switched to Agnitum's Firewall and I have only ever had this issue once in all of the time I have had avast, in over ten years.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security