Author Topic: Avast slow down my computer when delete or receive mail  (Read 7378 times)

toniomeryll

Avast slow down my computer when delete or receive mail
« on: September 04, 2005, 05:20:07 PM »
Hi

- When I delete a mail from my mail box (I use thunderbird) or when I receive a mail, this uses 100% of my UC during 2 second. That means the music I am listening is interrupted during 1 second and I cannot do anything during this time. I have noticed that this is due to Avast but I cannot solve this problem, could you help me please for Avast not to slow down anymore my computer ?

Best Regards

Antoine

PS (I have RAM 1Go so that not come from my computer performances)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast slow down my computer when delete or receive mail
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 08:17:07 PM »
When I delete a mail from my mail box (I use thunderbird) or when I receive a mail, this uses 100% of my UC during 2 second.
Well, this is how it should be. By desing the antivirus takes its action and does it as faster as it can to leave the computer for the user.
You can remove avast! protection of your mail but to scan it you should allow it use some resources... sounds reasonable.

That means the music I am listening is interrupted during 1 second and I cannot do anything during this time.
Something strange because I can do it, scan mail and nothing is wrong.
Which is your operational system and motherboard?
The best things in life are free.

Spyro

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 02:31:08 AM »
I have the same problem.

Avast service reports 100% usage when deleting/displaying/moving/receiving any mail on a folder that has several of them (around 200 which is near 35mb on the profile file) the bigger the inbox the bigger the system responsiveness gap. This shouldn't happen, for example Outlook express stores mails on a single (encrypted I guess) file...I remember many times having LOTS of mails on the inbox and don't remember any slow down like this.

I don't know if is caused by Thunderbird or Avast, but certainly Mozilla team seems to do nothing to solve this issue so far.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:33:17 AM by Spyro »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 03:26:17 AM »
Avast service reports 100% usage when deleting/displaying/moving/receiving any mail on a folder that has several of them (around 200 which is near 35mb on the profile file) the bigger the inbox the bigger the system responsiveness gap.
If you add the Thunderbird folder (where the files are stored) into Standard Shield exclusion list, will it help?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 05:16:54 AM »
Thunderbird users please understand that your mail is never ever deleted from your folders until you COMPACT them.  When you delete mail it is just marked as deleted in the folder you are deleting from (but IT IS NOT DELETED).  It is copied to the trash folder.  Even when you empty the trash it is not really deleted until you COMPACT the folder. 

This is not a problem of avast ... just set your folders to automatically compact in Thunderbird ... if you need help to find out how then just say so.

theStudent

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 05:04:06 PM »
I had the exact same problem. I went through every folder and subfolder and compacted from the context menu, as soon as I was done deletions were back to their normal speeds. Brilliant! However, this seems highly inefficient, I have looked in the options and menus for a "compact all" button, or "auto compact folders" as the previous post  suggested, however I have not found such a thing. Perhaps its time for a new pair of glasses, but would be grateful if you could expand upon that. Thanks in advance.

theStudent

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 05:13:25 PM »
I spoke too soon. I can confirm I am in fact blind. For other users who were experiencing similar problems, please see: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders

The setting is in Options-Advanced-Offline (this may not be the exact terms, this is from memory). However as the article suggests, it may not be a good idea as you don't want downloading of new mail to coincide with a compaction (if like me you poll your accounts every minute for instant delivery).

For manual use, no need to go folder by folder, simply select the top level account and use File-Compact Folders.

For me this completely solved the lagged deletion problem and Thunderbird is back to normal running with Avast. Good luck to others.