Author Topic: Win32:Mobogenie-O[Adw]  (Read 20460 times)

REDACTED

Win32:Mobogenie-O[Adw]
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
Why doesn't Avast boot scan get rid of it, and how do you?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Win32:Mobogenie-O[Adw]
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
Attach your basic logs. (MBAM, FRST and aswMBR..!!)
Instructions: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
You've gotta be kidding me...I have to use I'm not even sure how many other companies' product and pretend I'm a computer programmer; saving and attaching files and logs to who knows what and to do who knows what with?

ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME!?!

Every one of you guys act like YOUR individual product is the shit, and nothing can get by it, but when something does, you tell me to go not just elsewhere and fix it myself, but to go to SEVERAL elsewheres and jump through 1000 hoops in hope of fixing it?

Like THAT'S gonna work...I have a better idea...you're the virus company, how about YOU create a fix for it that we can click on? You know...kind of like how it's SUPPOSSED to work?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
Tone down your language,   The solution if you are not happy is change your AV solution.  It will not do any good as no mainstream av totally removes PUP's even MBAM misses portions

This was installed with another programme you downloaded so you allowed it to be installed.  We can help or not your choice. 

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
I ALLOWED it to be installed? That's rich...I could have sworn that was the job of the virus protection programs - you didn't catch it, and that is your job, and you're telling me it's MY fault for not catching it myself?

Please...and I have no idea what you just said...change my av solution? I have no idea what that means, and if that is your idea of "helping"...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
if you want help .... attach the requested logs and it will be solved   Malwarebytes and Farbar Recovery Scan Tool logs

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
Potentially Unwanted Program) An application that is installed along with the desired application the user actually asked for. Also called a "barnacle," in most cases, the PUP is spyware, adware or some other unwanted software. However, what makes spyware or adware a PUP rather than pure malware is the fact that the end user license agreement (EULA) does inform the user that this additional program is being installed. Considering hardly anyone ever reads the license agreement, the distinction is a subtle one. See spyware, adware and malware.

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »
Listen closely.

1) You've spoken with such attitude to Essex, I would actually say I wouldn't help you out here.
2) Avast! Anti-VIRUS. Mobogenie isn't self replicating to my knowledge?
3) If you google how to add PUP's to the Avast! detection scanners, you wouldn't be here
4) It's kind of your fault, you did install it.
5) The logs posted, contain no private information, short of Username, computer name, and maybe country, also any file paths... The very fact you POSTED on this forum, to some, is more invasive of your privacy then those logs will ever be. Don't believe me? Run FRST, see if you can find any information that isn't 1) Username, 2) Computer name and 3) Isn't your country.

If you wish, I will gladly run FRST, aswMBR and MBAM and publicly post my logs. I have absolutely no issue with it.

You've gotta be kidding me...I have to use I'm not even sure how many other companies' product and pretend I'm a computer programmer;

ARE YOU F'ING KIDDING ME!?!

Last I checked, clicking a few buttons doesn't count as being a programmer. Or attaching a few log files.
http://uniteagainstmalware.com/instructors/

Find Essexboy in there. He is probably one of the most qualified people I know who can help you. If you don't believe his expertise, or my recommendation, search Thanks Essex in Avast!.

(Or just go here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=86949.15)

Note: If you want Avast! to find MoboGenie, using Avast! 2014 - Click on Avast! > Scan > Quick Scan > Settings > Check the PUP option, if not already checked.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:25:11 PM by Michael (alan1998) »
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 11:40:12 PM »
It gets harder and harder to avoid bundled PUP-adware and PUP-crap with downloads. It means "easy money' for the developer of the software and the marketeers that earn on the bundling, unaware or not interested in the nuisance of their persistent added crap that delivers them "easy money" for average end-users. Nowadays everyone that downloads software from the internet should be wary not to include possibly unwanted additional "goodies" of persistent adware-crap, and some really can be "a pain in the proverbial parts". So avoid software bundlers and do custom installs while opting out of bundled stuff.

There are five ways to get rid of it: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Mobogenie-Virus
I'd prefer and advise you to use the guidance of a qualified removal expert like essexboy here.

He and his colleagues are some of the best to be found on this small digital globe.

In the mean time while you wait for your log files to be examined, read the above link I have posted.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:30:56 AM »
attachments

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 03:35:19 AM »
I shall get Essex again.
VOLUNTEER

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 03:36:28 AM »
attachments pretty sure I did them all but don't think I found and attached all

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 03:38:41 AM »
No, you're fine. Tis what Essexboy requires. Please keep in mind, Essex lives in the UK, and probably won't be online for 6-7 hours still.
VOLUNTEER

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 03:41:26 AM »
Gotcha...also, since a lot of things were removed during the various scans, I did another avast boot scan, and a few more variations on the virus have appeared, if it matters.

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 03:42:31 AM »
Also, Unchecky will keep out the Adware. Although, again, won't see it 100% of the time, but gets most cases.

http://unchecky.com/files/unchecky_setup.exe

(Not related to Avast!!!!)

Just wait until Essexboy comes online. I re-PM'd him the link for this thread.
VOLUNTEER