Author Topic: can't install avast  (Read 11480 times)

themcbltd

can't install avast
« on: September 05, 2005, 12:04:40 AM »
because of a dead motherboard i changed it for a new one (nforce4 ultra motherboard = ASUS A8N-E bios 1008)

on a fresh install of winxpsp2 (NVIDIA DRIVERS V6.66, MICROSOFT DRIVERS FOR ADAPTEC 29160 / ASUS ATI and CREATIVE DRIVERS (VIA WEB AUTOUPDATE) AUDIGY PREMIUM EX) nvfirewall on or off  - windows firewall on or off

i can download the latest free home french version of avast (via iexplorer or firefox) but can't install it :

altought everything else works (windowsupdate, windows activation, spybotsd, microsoft antispyware.....)

even the english version of setup crash (even with uncompacting setup with upx1.25):

message =  an error 1006 (00003ee) has occured.
Last performed operation was :
opening the self-extract archive

Try to download setup file again.
If you use internet explorer, clear its cache before downloading:
Start->Control Panel->Internet Options and Delete Temporary Internet Files

So please HELP ME: I Don't understand what's wrong execpt i can't use this fantastic program

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: can't install avast
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 12:09:17 AM »
There may be a transparent proxy somewhere on the way that is caching the broken download.
How big is the executable you have downloaded?

luciussilanus

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 05:00:12 AM »
I see I'm not the only one to have had this problem, but no solution was provided?  Same question.  I've downloaded both the home and pro version in both win xp x64 and win xp pro (32 bit) and it won't work in either operating systems.  I have my computer dual booting so this is on the same hardware with same drivers, only 64bit and 32bit respectively.  Of course I've tried deleting the cache, but that didn't help.  I've also tried using ie and firefox to download, no better there.  Any thoughts?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 10:38:47 AM »
What is the exact size (and also filename) you have downloaded?

luciussilanus

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:37:01 AM »
filename: setupeng.exe

Size:  10.0 MB (10,583,888 bytes)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 09:56:35 AM »
Would you be able to get some kind of checksum of the file (CRC32, MD5, SHA... doesn't matter). There are many tools to do that...

luciussilanus

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 03:55:21 PM »
Using fastsum 1.5 I found:

Name                           Size              Checksum\State
setupeng.exe           10,335 KB      B35BF10018941472D14251E6685B078F

Hopefully this is what you are interested in?  And thanks for the help, I was told this program is worth the effort.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
Well, the size is OK, but the checksum doesn't match. The correct one for the latest build is 5064BA6A491CC684A43D708DB1348553
Strange... but I think it must be some corruption during the download...

luciussilanus

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 09:33:56 PM »
Could downloading it from a different source work better?  Or from a different computer (IP)?  That is to say, is the problem between the source and my computer, or does it reside in my computer.  I assume the source itself is fine because others aren't having the same difficulty.

EDIT:  I will be out of reach this weekend, I will check the thread when i return on sunday.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 12:48:23 AM »
You could try downloading using a different source, download.com, but personally I would try again from avast, where you will definately get the latest release (so the MD5 check should match).

Did you use a download manager, sometimes they screw up ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

luciussilanus

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 04:25:01 PM »
Well, looks like the problem is on my end.  Many other programs have beed corrupted when I DLed them to this CPU.  I downloaded the file off the computer in my office and had no problem with the install.  Great looking problem, but now my computer cannot connect to update:   Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download7.avast.com (67.15.0.90:80).  I'll talk with the IT guys here but they are a bunch of morons and I'll be lucky to get any good info about this from them.  I am not above saying it could be a problem with my computer, but I have never had this problem before (tho it is windows and I wouldn't put it past them).  But for me to have problems in both boots suggests that both copies of windows would have to be bad.  So that suggests against it.  Could it be a hardware issue?  Anywho, any thoughts are apreceated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »
I downloaded the file off the computer in my office and had no problem with the install.
Great looking problem, but now my computer cannot connect to update
Are you using a firewall? Did you allow avast.setup file to connect and get the update?
The best things in life are free.

matardivo

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »
como tava falando d erro de temporarios, eu tb havia acabado de formatar o cpu, eu criei em c:\ a paste temp dentro coloquei o instalador do avast e executei funcionou certim.
consegui instalar o avast. outro detalhe q percebi é, sempre instalo o vast pelo meu pendrive desse vez ele estava na entrada frontal do pc e percebi q estava sumindo o pendrive pelo meu computador.

mas feito a pasta em c:\temp e blz deu certo.