Author Topic: My Sygate personal firewall home page  (Read 4268 times)

Jarmo P

My Sygate personal firewall home page
« on: September 06, 2005, 02:45:52 PM »
I know SPF is not so highly regarded in this forum cause of the loopback issue if running local proxy software and the recent Symantec takeover, but I believe it still has a wide user base.

This is intended for newbie installation and configuration. Some hints as well there ;)

http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

I do believe Sygate works like a charm with avast! in my configuration. That is a manual proxy setting for Firefox and Opera. None for IE. Avast's webshield configured to not to allow the so called transparent proxy setting for IE.
All outgoing connections through HTTP 80 for Firefox and Opera are of course shown as ashWebSv.exe entries in traffic log.

Jarmo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: My Sygate personal firewall home page
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 03:47:17 PM »
I know SPF is not so highly regarded in this forum
Well, I personally can't use Sygate because of loopback issue when running a local proxy software.
But, for me, nothing other troubles with Sygate. I do recognize it is very good if the user does not use a local proxy.
It's free. Have all my consideration.

About being taken by Symantec, only time will be able to show how deep will be the evil  ;D

Anyway, your offering of help in Sygate in very welcomen  :)
The best things in life are free.

Nicolas

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 03:38:02 PM »
http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

On his very useful Sygate webpage Jarmo recommends the use of an older Sygate version (filename spf5.5b2710.exe) and he seems to be quite right.
I already noticed that the latest version of this firewall leaves the system fully unprotected for traffic taking place during the entire startup. It is true that Avast will block malware untill the firewall has loaded (smc.exe) - if it recognizes it...

Following Jarmo's advice, I reinstalled the older version and found that it now loads first of all. The newer version, however, loaded last of all. Which is why it was unstalled... There is probably a bug that makes it possible to delay the loading of smc.exe.

Nicolas

Jarmo P

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 07:50:18 PM »
It could be that they could not somehow make the firewall and XP SP2 security center recognition quite right. Sygate never had many bad reviews until that free 5.6 version arrived.
Everyone can see what happened in sites as download.com and Sygate free forum. Pro still has not Security center recognition, that is a feature not really needed.
I wish they remove the 5.6 version, but bet they never do :(