Author Topic: Phone stolen, sim removed - what can the thief still do?  (Read 2487 times)

REDACTED

Phone stolen, sim removed - what can the thief still do?
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
A few days ago, my phone got stolen and the simcard was removed, and a new card was inserted  >:(. I have a couple of questions:

1. is there a way to see the new sim card/telephone number? One I could just take to the police who could contact the provider to find out his identity?

2. the thief has been shortly online twice, and Avast has been sending me his location. There is a pattern and he lives close by, so I'm thinking of tracking him down and activating the sirene when I'm close. Once the sirene is activated, can he turn off the phone? Or will it keep making noise until I disable it via my laptop / battery runs out?

3. I had a PIN code, and a swipe code to unlock my phone, and the phone was turned off immediately after being stolen. Then the simcard was removed. Is the pincode linked to the simcard, or to the phone? In other words, will they be able to access my phone after changing sims? And if they do, will all my online apps still be accessible, even with a different simcard? I'm mostly worried about e-mail, and have noticed that my Skype contacts seem to have gone partly missing on my laptop (not sure if related but suspicious nonetheless). If these apps are still accessible even with a new sim card I will activate the Swipe command, but if not accessible after changing sim cards, I'll just wait a little longer in the hope I get my phone back.

Thanks in advance for the info!

REDACTED

Re: Phone stolen, sim removed - what can the thief still do?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »
Well, since no one is answering my question, I can now answer it myself: the thief can, even after changing simcards, still access all the apps that are running, including Email apps, and can for example delete 6 weeks of emails  >:(