Author Topic: Avast & Microsoft Windows Updates [Thread To Post Results, OK or Issues ?]  (Read 222322 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast & Microsoft Windows Updates [Thread To Post Results, OK or Issues ?]
« Reply #315 on: December 16, 2015, 10:23:30 PM »
I haven't installed it.  I don't want to update to win 10 yet so I hid it.

Watch out it could well be back even if you have hidden the KB. MS aren't giving up on the idea of when push comes to shove to get it installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #316 on: December 17, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
I only had 2 updates for Windows 10. One cumulative and one for the flash player. Then there were 8 for Office. I'm not counting the malware removal tool.

My Windows version is now 1511 build 10586.29

As of yesterday, mine is now described as Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.

Is this 'the big November upgrade' that never actually came my way?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #317 on: December 17, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »
As of yesterday, mine is now described as Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586.

Is this 'the big November upgrade' that never actually came my way?
That's the one :) now you just need to remove unwanted apps that would have been re-installed, the latest 5.12 version of CCleaner will uninstall apps ( don't remove the store app )

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #318 on: December 17, 2015, 02:13:31 PM »
I had the same win update on my win 7 computer so I hid it.  This trying to force people to update to win 10 is ridiculous.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2015, 11:52:37 PM »
I had the same win update on my win 7 computer so I hid it.  This trying to force people to update to win 10 is ridiculous.
For most people, updating it's a smart move since Windows 10 is a better OS.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2015, 12:05:02 AM »
It might be a better OS but I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to use it, ie, all the different setting's, etc..

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #321 on: December 18, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »
Hi -midnight,

Some here are quick adopters, like bob3160 (who already was accustomed to it, before the realMcCoy came out  ;D ) and some are somewhat slower adopters like you. There must be room for that. There comes a moment that you are somewhat more forced to switch, like with Vista in a couple of months when Google Chrome browser will no longer update there I have to change at least browsers. Also users with certain older versions of Blue E will be warned by Microsoft to upgrade their browser (at least to IE9 for earlier OS). But support for Windows10 has just begun, so the urge isn't there yet. Well all the time there was this on the back of my mind: "Why ,oh why, Microsoft has decided to so gladly offer Windows10 completely for free or is there an unseen price-tag somewhere?. They never told me the reason....

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #322 on: December 18, 2015, 12:59:22 AM »
Hi -midnight,

Some here are quick adopters, like bob3160 (who already was accustomed to it, before the realMcCoy came out  ;D ) and some are somewhat slower adopters like you. There must be room for that. There comes a moment that you are somewhat more forced to switch, like with Vista in a couple of months when Google Chrome browser will no longer update there I have to change at least browsers. Also users with certain older versions of Blue E will be warned by Microsoft to upgrade their browser (at least to IE9 for earlier OS). But support for Windows10 has just begun, so the urge isn't there yet. Well all the time there was this on the back of my mind: "Why ,oh why, Microsoft has decided to so gladly offer Windows10 completely for free or is there an unseen price-tag somewhere?. They never told me the reason....

polonus
The reason is that they want one OS to rule them all. The same OS across PC's, tablets, phones, and Xbox consoles with all able to integrate with each other. I recently bought my first full smart phone and I chose the Microsoft Lumia 640 running Windows Phone 8.1 and soon to be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. I really like the OS on a phone and prefer it to Android. As far as Apple goes, I have never owned anything they have ever made and most likely never will.

REDACTED

« Reply #323 on: December 18, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »

Today I had 2 update packages on one of my W7 machines: first 5 updates, later 6. Downloads and installation without issues.

HDW

REDACTED

« Reply #324 on: December 27, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
Strange things happening since Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 upgrade. Start, search and Task View buttons visible but not working. Also, Taskbar items working but invisible. Lots of comment online - I tried one suggestion which worked for me: boot to safe mode and restart as normal.

Offline dnimon

« Reply #325 on: December 27, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
Strange things happening since Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586 upgrade. Start, search and Task View buttons visible but not working. Also, Taskbar items working but invisible. Lots of comment online - I tried one suggestion which worked for me: boot to safe mode and restart as normal.

Start Task Manager (Ctl-Alt-Del). Background processes. Right Click on Search. Choose 'End Process'. Close. Search should work now.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Re: Avast & Microsoft Windows Updates [Thread To Post Results, OK or Issues ?
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2015, 12:39:11 PM »
Got this update yesterday but haven't installed it yet.  I'm not an IT professional.

Microsoft security advisory: Update for vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge: December 29, 2015

Summary
Microsoft has released a security advisory for IT professionals about vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in the following web browsers:

Internet Explorer in Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 10, and Windows 10 version 1511
    Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 and Windows 10 version 1511

Never mind.......I installed it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:05:14 PM by -midnight »

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #327 on: January 01, 2016, 01:42:45 AM »
The update for Adobe Flash Player (KB3132372) breaks Incredimail, Citibank virtual account numbers and my HP printer software on my machine.  I temporarily uninstalled it to get the programs back.  I will be watching for a fix to this update.

HP Envy Windows 8.1 64 bit.  Everything else up to date.

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #328 on: January 01, 2016, 02:03:54 AM »
And I will have to live for a while without those programs.  Nothing with flash works if it is uninstalled.  So its back on the machine.  Hope something is fixed soon.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »
I didn't have any issues after installing this update on my win 8.1 PC.