Author Topic: Avast & Microsoft Windows Updates [Thread To Post Results, OK or Issues ?]  (Read 222555 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Re: Avast & Microsoft Windows Updates [Thread To Post Results, OK or Issues ?]
« Reply #255 on: September 09, 2015, 10:59:09 PM »
Installed 19 windows updates on my win 8.1 computer yesterday.  After restarting Gmail, Avast Forum and Facebook didn't recognize my FF browser.  I always stay logged in to all 3.  Browser Cleanup didn't work but a repair fixed it.  Had to answer some hint questions in order to access our bank accounts.

Offline ky331

« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »
HDW38

re:  one update failing, but then successfully downloading/installing after the reboot,
sometimes an update has a prerequisite, that another update has to be installed first.   That would explain why it failed the first time --- the prerequisite hadn't been installed yet --- but afterwards, it was then able to succeed.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Offline beegolden

« Reply #257 on: September 10, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
Installed 19 windows updates on my win 8.1 computer yesterday.  After restarting Gmail, Avast Forum and Facebook didn't recognize my FF browser.  I always stay logged in to all 3.  Browser Cleanup didn't work but a repair fixed it.  Had to answer some hint questions in order to access our bank accounts.

The failure may have been caused because of those sites open and running. I understand the best practice for updating or installing software is to be sure everything is closed. Glad you were finally able to succeed!
Win 7 SP1 64-bit; Avast, Free

REDACTED

« Reply #258 on: September 10, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
HDW38

re:  one update failing, but then successfully downloading/installing after the reboot,
sometimes an update has a prerequisite, that another update has to be installed first.   That would explain why it failed the first time --- the prerequisite hadn't been installed yet --- but afterwards, it was then able to succeed.
That's my opinion, too.

REDACTED

« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2015, 01:00:45 AM »
How are people getting so many updates when I only had one? There were 5 others but they were for Office 2007.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2015, 03:50:15 AM »
How are people getting so many updates when I only had one? There were 5 others but they were for Office 2007.
For me too, 1 of "security" (the famous malicious tool remover) and 4 from Office.
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #261 on: September 12, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
How are people getting so many updates when I only had one?
Well, we got them from another server, I guess.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #262 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
Installed optional KB3080079 on Windows 7,still not sure about KB2999226.

Offline beegolden

« Reply #263 on: September 16, 2015, 03:24:50 PM »
installed all available and no problems - except that Avast! was slow to open Firefox, Google, Gmail etc. for a day. Acted like it was in learning mode from an initial installation, but all well now.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
This windows update KB3087040 was released yesterday but I'm afraid to install it.  Anyone else get this update?  The KB2919355 was released in April.

Last week an update which installed automatically ruined my new win 8.1 computer.

Microsoft security advisory: Update for Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge: September 21, 2015

l
Summary
Microsoft has released a security advisory for IT professionals about vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer. This security advisory contains additional security-related information. To learn more about the vulnerability, see Microsoft security advisory 2755801.
More information
Important

All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require update 2919355 to be installed. We recommend that you install update 2919355 on your Windows RT 8.1-based, Windows 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer so that you receive future updates.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:10:23 PM by -midnight »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #265 on: September 22, 2015, 05:08:40 PM »
Really would appreciate it if someone would let me know whether or not I even need this update.

Thank You.

Offline beegolden

« Reply #266 on: September 22, 2015, 07:03:03 PM »
don't use Win 8 so don't know Midnight. Hope you get your answers soon.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #267 on: September 22, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
So do I beegolden.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
Hi.
I'm running latest Avast free on my second WinXP laptop.

Automatic Windows (i.e. Office etc as XP is unsupported) Updates download but fail to install. Also had errors acessing www.update.microsoft.com using IE8.

I've tried all sorts of things including creating a fresh softwaredistribution database and 'Reset' IE8. But still problems.

In desparation tried switching off Avast shields. Then found microsoft updates installed OK.
So must be something in Avast that screws microsoft update.
I don't like having to turn off Avast shields to do windows upadates, but is a workround for now.
I hope Avast can take a look at this issue.

PS. I had same problem on previous version Avast before I updated Avast program today. So is not just the latest version (i.e. 10.4.2233) that causes te problem.

Has anyone else had any similar issues?
Ed

Just found this Windows Update issues thread. I posted a new thread yerdsterday (quoted above) to notify issues I had with windows update prior to turning off Avast shields. 

Is my understanding correct that this remains a general issue, and only solution is to disarm Avast as a work-round when having problems installing microsoft updates ?
Ed

REDACTED

« Reply #269 on: September 22, 2015, 07:31:59 PM »
You need the update if you use Internet Explorer. It updates the built in Flash Player. If, and only if, you never use IE, you can hide the update. Having said that, I, and many others according to Google, had problems with the update failing to install. I had to download and install it manually. I just saw in another forum where people using the latest preview build did not have any problem with installing that update.

Which update killed your computer? In my 16 years of using Windows of different versions, I have never had a problem caused by a Windows update.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:51:31 PM by Dch48 »