Author Topic: Avast 8 is a failed product  (Read 4453 times)

stevetabler

Avast 8 is a failed product
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:50:23 AM »
Disclaimer This is intended to be feedback based on my expereince this month with Avast 8, and not intended to be malicious or defamatory.  However, I do get excited and my remarks sometimes get taken wrong.

I've just spent the last 4 hours downgrading to Avast 7.  I think I finally have it downgraded and stable now.  I do most of my real work (I write programs) in Windows 7 x64.  I had difficulty with Avast 8 constantly urging me to update non-Avast programs on my system.  My first attempt at trying out the new feature in Avast 8 resulted in a failed upgrade of flash, and I had to go direct to the Adobe site and do a new install of the latest version.  The next update alert I received was for Acrobat Reader needing to be upgraded:  the result was an older version of Acrobat was installed on my system.

I disabled the upgrade alert feature of Avast 8.  Unfortunately, it didn't stay disabled.  It kept re-enabling itself whenever the computer needed a reboot.  The last straw was when I had an alert today for updating flash again, even though the update feature was no longer running.

I had read some of the complaints on the forum here previously about Avast 8, and there seemed to be an acknowledgement in general of these issues, and that an update was forthcoming.  Well, there's been no signs of an update, and I've been fighting this thing for a couple of weeks now.  If a program I wrote had caused this much of an issue, I would have halted work on all other projects and fixed it, free or not.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast 8 is a failed product
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:58:10 AM »
You complaint has been answered before you even posted.
The Software Updater has been the target of more than a few users.
Personally I like it. Others don't. To each their own.  :)

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=119594.msg919336#msg919336
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

atryeu

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »
Steve, I'm completely with you. You know what's even worse? My problem is that I do NOT have Software Updater even installed and it was trying to download updates without my permission! I have a post going about it and people were not even reading what I said, they keep telling me to go to Add/Remove and uninstall the feature, which is hard to do when it's not even installed to begin with *looks for a mad face smiley*

I downgraded last night too. I'm on a dialup connection and my download speed is only 2kb/sec. It completely stole all my daily bandwidth yesterday trying to download that stupid software without my permission. If my ISP had charged me for the extra I went over I'd be going after Avast to pay back the difference to my ISP bill. This is just a joke and that stupid feature needs removed.

And your right too, I found the hidden files of the download attempts on my computer and there were 6 things trying to download, 5 of which were outdated versions compared to what I already had. Only Flash had an actual update but I don't want to update that. They have a beta version out which means it will be updated again anytime anyway so there's no point wasting time downloading when another update is due out anytime :(

jackuars

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:02:33 AM »
Go to Settings->Software Updater->Uncheck "Automatically download updates if possible"

Then go to Software Updater in the main interface, and click Stop.

This will stop any update notifications that appears.....

Sometimes it automatically gets enabled in the Software Updater interface, but it's fine as I don't go to that component module...

It's not a good idea that products are trying to include Software Updater within them, this is the biggest reason that I had to switch from Orbit Download Manager. I think this is a shame that Avast is trying to make the product more popular with the tag line, "we keep the system secure, by helping the user to download critical updates", while this is not the case...

The best software updater that is available is SuMo, http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo but make sure you download only the zip file and not the installer. 

atryeu

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 04:35:34 AM »
Go to Settings->Software Updater->Uncheck "Automatically download updates if possible"

Then go to Software Updater in the main interface, and click Stop.

This will stop any update notifications that appears.....

Sometimes it automatically gets enabled in the Software Updater interface, but it's fine as I don't go to that component module...

It's not a good idea that products are trying to include Software Updater within them, this is the biggest reason that I had to switch from Orbit Download Manager. I think this is a shame that Avast is trying to make the product more popular with the tag line, "we keep the system secure, by helping the user to download critical updates", while this is not the case...

The best software updater that is available is SuMo, http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo but make sure you download only the zip file and not the installer.

I don't know if this was aimed towards me or just posted in general, but I personally do not have the Software Updater installed, so it shouldn't have been downloading anything at all, but it was. I also saw according to the FAQs on the site that the automatic download is only available with Premier, which I sure don't have.  I downgraded to 7 again for now. I don't know if I want to stay with Avast anymore or not after this. I've been using it since version 4 and I really like it... liked it... The downloading without permission has really changed my mind about their software.

Hammey

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:00:44 AM »
Hi how can you like anything that downloads the wrong updates for your pc hehe I don't understand that sorry. I have used Avast for along time they had the best small program you could wish for. If I want to update my software I will, I do not need some program doing that for me I don't even let windows update install any updates except for windows and certainly not driver's.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »
To remove the Software Updater try Control Panel>Uninstall>double click "avast">click "change"> untick "Software Updater">reboot.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »

Thank you !
Let's hope that AVAST support will fix the interoperability issue they have with SUMo :)
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=159689.0
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=163929.0