Author Topic: Avast 10.0.2208 and KB3000850  (Read 2113 times)

REDACTED

Avast 10.0.2208 and KB3000850
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »
Hi All,

I've not had any reason to use the forum before. Avast has always behaved itself and done a very good job keeping my systems virus free.

I have to report that I am using Avast Pro Antivirus 2015 (2015.10.0.2208) and I am still having problems with Microsoft's nuisance KB3000850 update.

This first kicked off back in December (19th)...

The first things I noticed were:

Microsoft Remote Desktop web access fails to pass through login credentials properly.
Free Download Manager fails to load properly and cannot accept downloads due to permissions problems.
VMWare Workstation 10 fails to launch virtual machines.

It took me ages to figure out what the issue was but the fact that my machine had installed updates recently kind of gave it away. I had no idea it was a conflict with Avast though.
I just uninstalled all the recent updates and got away relatively unscathed.

Yesterday though I inadvertently installed updates again thinking that Microsoft might have pulled any problematic updates by now. Sure enough the odd behaviour was back. This time I uninstalled each update one at a time, rebooting each time. (Very repetitive I can say!)
I singled out KB3000850 as the offending item and sure enough it works ok without Avast installed.

I didn't get to any pages where a conclusive fix was mentioned but it has been suggested that the issue was resolved with a driver update to one of the system files.
I appear to be running the latest version (with KB3000850 uninstalled again) but I was wondering if any remaining glitches are going to be looked at.
There is definitely some undesirable behaviour going on. It would be nice to have the confidence to install updates knowing that the Avast team are doing their best to resolve any compatibility issues that might arise. Even if it is a large update from Microsoft that changes the way the OS functions.

Otherwise,

Thanks for a great product that does its job well  :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast 10.0.2208 and KB3000850
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:04:28 AM »
Have you reviewed this Thread 'thoroughly' as relates to the original posts regarding that particular Windows Botched Update.
Read here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160717.0