Author Topic: Another Connection Timeout error, but with a twist.  (Read 5903 times)

bassmadrigal

Another Connection Timeout error, but with a twist.
« on: September 20, 2005, 03:05:09 AM »
I have searched the forums, and have been unable to come up with a topic that is similar to my issue.

From my understanding when you get these errors it is because of an email client timeout issue. The only problem is I don't use an email client. The errors are usually few and far between but happen frequently enough that I have to wonder what is causing this.

Here is the error and the icon on the taskbar.

So the error is pointing to javaw.exe which is the java runtime. This program is being used for Azureus. I have never had the error point to any other program. Azureus does not have any email capabilities built in, so I believe that is my "twist". I have triple checked my firewall, and Avast is set up correctly for any access.

I guess my question becomes... 1. What is the cause of this error, especially if the program has no email capability? 2. Will editing the ini file to increase timeouts fix it, or is it just a bandaid for a larger issue? 3. If editing the timeout is just a bandaid fix, does anyone know what I could change to fix this issue?

Thanks
Jeremy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Another Connection Timeout error, but with a twist.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 03:22:19 AM »
Add javaw.exe to the IgnoreProcess value into avast4.ini file section [MailScanner]
if you're sure it is not (and will never part of) a mail process.
More info? Click 'Settings' in my signature.
Welcome to forums  8)
The best things in life are free.

bassmadrigal

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 04:06:29 AM »
Thanks on the info to get rid of the error.

But one of my questions still remains... Is this just a bandaid fix? I think there must be some underlying problem, that is causing this message to come up. I see no reason why javaw.exe/Azureus should be accessing port 25. I have never seen this happen on any other machines that have avast and Azureus installed.

I am wondering if anyone knows if this points to a bigger problem, whether it be certain malware that attached itself to the java program, or somthing else.

Thanks
Jeremy

darth.mikey

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 04:23:57 AM »
I had the same errors too, i increased the timeout setting in avast! and it works OK now no more pop up's ;)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 05:50:55 AM »
With all respect to darth.mikey that advice is only telling you how to get rid of the warning.  It does not give you, nor should it, any assurance that you do not face a larger problem.

You have a java program that is apparently connecting to the traditional SMTP port of a location outside your system.  Do you know what is being sent to this location?  Do you know that this is Azureus?  In searching I can find no immediate reference to use of port 25 by Azureus. 

I suggest that, rather than just overriding the warning, you should check out the processes running on your system, perforrm the malware scans recommended by Tech and Eddy elsewhere in these forums unless you get some information that assures you this process is not sending out all your keyboard entries, passwords to your accounts etc.

bassmadrigal

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 07:00:32 AM »
Thank you alanrf. Azureus is the only program I have running that is using the java platform. Plus I believe that when two programs that use the java platform run that each has an individual process.

As far as other processes running, I keep strict tabs on that. I have seen no new processes and all the current ones I know exactly what they do. My HijackThis log is clean. I will double check and run Spybot S&D and Lavasoft Adaware SE, but the last time it ran it only found cookies. I have had this problem for months, but it happens maybe once a week.

There is nothing in Azureus that should be using port 25. I have checked and double checked all settings and plugins. Azureus is pretty much running 24/7, so it is weird that I don't have the error more often. I can't seem to make any connection to what is causing the error. I have tried using the various updates of the plugins and program, along with manually updating the tracker info. I have also checked the updating and options of the Java program itself. Nothing seems to correlate to causing the problem.

It is nice to know I can get rid of the error, but it would be nicer to find the cause of the error. And I think that is more important. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy

darth.mikey

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 01:13:33 PM »
Guys i always see this warning after installing Azureus(everytime) and leaving it on over the night  :'(  But what i would like to know is why this happens(Azureus is not an email program) and i think Alwil guys can help us there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 04:21:32 PM »
Well there have been reports of p2p programs using non standard ports to try and avoid firewall, etc. to speed up downloads/uploads, etc. file transfer/exchange should not be using email ports 110/25 but they often do.

In this case they are getting scanned by avast's mail scanner because Internet Mail monitors the email ports for traffic and the timeout occurs because what is being sent is not in the expected email format so it takes a lot of time trying to scan (and probably fails) so this is likely to cause the timeout.

The only work around is as Tech said to exclude Azureus being scanned by the mail scanner. This in my mind leaves you vulnerable (by excluding it) to potential harm by a program that doesn't conform to standards, would I use a program that doesn't conform to standards, probably not (I don't use any p2p progs anyway).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

altie

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 09:41:59 PM »
Bass, you're not the only one to experience this. I've used Azureus and uTorrent with Avast and both have periodic encounters with the popup. What I've done, hopefully has quashed the annoying popup is to set my settings so that if Avast comes across another timeout, it should just shutdown the connection. It's in Internet Mail>Customize>Advanced.

If what the others say about my torrent programs not supposed to be having access to Internet Mail ports, then I say it should just shutdown the connections that are trying to access those ports.

Hopefully, I've done it right. But so far.. no annoying #$(*$( pop ups yet! :-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 10:23:37 PM »
If you are using Azureus (or another P2P program that you can assign communication ports) it is possible that you need to change the ports you listen on.
Check out this Thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18105.0
and this post in particular http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=18105.msg154105#msg154105
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bassmadrigal

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 09:58:25 AM »
Well thanks for the info, but I just disabled the timeout.

I know that Azureus is not actually using that port because my firewall monitors all ports being used and logs them. I have no logs mentioning Azureus or Java accessing port 25. I have had it happen on both my desktop and laptop, and the laptop was after a clean install. So I know that malware is not an issue with it.

I have no email programs on my computer since I use web based mail, so I just decided to disable the timeout. I have yet to re-enable it with the new Azureus update. I know my systems are clean so I have no worries about leaving it disabled.

Jeremy