Author Topic: Norton Removal Tool Download & Functionality Problematic (RESOLVED)  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
After a System Recovery, I needed to remove the Norton that comes with the computer.  After encountering other problems, I had to do a System Restore.  This brought back Norton, but its uninstall function would not work.  So, I proceeded to use the Norton Removal Tool that I had in my Flash Drive.  It didn't work.  It said it wasn't signed and thus wouldn't open.

I downloaded another copy from FreewareFiles.  I encountered several instances of Network Error and had to keep resuming the download.  When it was done, it too said it wasn't signed and thus wouldn't open.

I then downloaded another copy from BleepingComputer, which was supposed to be from the author's site.  There too I encountered several instances of Network Error and had to keep resuming the download.  When it was done, it too said it wasn't signed and thus wouldn't open.

What the blazes is going on?  Why is downloading and getting the Norton Removal Tool to work such a pain in the .......?  And this isn't the first time I've encountered this problem.  In the past I've also had a very difficult time finding a copy that works.

Where do I get a copy that freakin' works and that doesn't throw out a Network Error fest during the download?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:00:07 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Norton Removal Tool Download & Functionality Problematic
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
Personally I don't think it's the Norton tool that is the problem, the system restore is more like what has corrupted Norton or the system and now it cant be removed.

Your best bet would be to install Norton then remove it and if that fails a factory restore or new install from disc might be required.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »
The Norton removal tool is digitally signed.
If your system it says it is not, there is something wrong with your windows installation.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:56:27 PM »
Ahhh, okay then.  That makes sense since yes, for starters this computer IS very problematic.  And yes, yesterday's System Recovery did not remotely go without incident.  It took a million ... okay, like a dozen attempts before one of them finally made it all the way through without the computer rebooting by itself in the middle of the recovery process.

Even my 2 attempts at installing SP2 did not succeed.  I have 2 versions of SP2.  The newer one is of course a bigger file size.  Neither worked.  So, you two are no doubt right.  There is a problem with the Windows install.

I guess I can just manually remove everything Norton / Symantec that I find.  I HAD already removed the registry entries with CCleaner, Glary Utilities and JetClean.

Thanks, Craig ... Eddy.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
Re: Norton Removal Tool Download & Functionality Problematic (RESOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »
I would say, format and perform a clean windows installation.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:41 PM »
By the extra information you mentioned I'd agree completely with Eddy, something is definitely screwed up in the installation, hopefully it's not Glary and JetClean making it worse ( ditch those two programs imo )

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:59:56 PM »
By the extra information you mentioned I'd agree completely with Eddy, something is definitely screwed up in the installation, hopefully it's not Glary and JetClean making it worse ( ditch those two programs imo )
Agreed 100%.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053
I'd not use CCleaner registry cleaner either unless a specific program will not go easily when uninstalled normally  Target only the files related to that application and no other.    ;D

If your issue is a slow-booting system, then look here:  http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140262-how-to-speed-up-boot-process-under-windows-vista-or-windows-7/  (Credit: essexboy here:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=156141.msg1175517#msg1175517 )

If none of this works then you've got windows corruption issues that a only a clean install will fix.
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Avast Premier Security version 24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.868)
UI version 1.0.814

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 11:03:24 PM »
Oh, if it was any other computer I'd definitely just perform another Windows Reinstall cuz I would know there'd be a strong chance that everything would be fixed.  However, this computer has been very problematic from when I first started using it sometime in 2013 ... even down to performing the Windows Reinstalls themselves.  They are NEVER routine or cake walk-like on this computer.

I've performed several since then and none leave the computer really any better than before the Windows Reinstall.  I took it in for repair I believe early 2014, but it only worked properly for around 6 weeks before it went back to its old problems.

So basically, definitely Windows Reinstalls from the Factory partition are not the answer.  And Windows repairs with Tweaking.com's Windows Repair All in One only temporarily make it a little bit better, be it for a couple of hours or for a day or two.

THIS might possibly be the root cause:
Periodically among the many Blue Screen errors that I get, this bit of info is there:

"The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant.  Please contact your system vendor for an updated BIOS."

Is that something that can be fixed with a simple download of a BIOS file from the Compaq website and installed without the need for a Computer Geek Degree?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 11:12:20 PM »
http://www.acpi.info/

I would say start checking the hardware.
http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 06:47:06 AM »
I'd add that if we know what os you are running, maybe a way to install clean without using the apparently corrupt recovery partition.  If the make and model of your system is known, a link to the updated BIOS could be found, too.  Updating the BIOS carries some risk, so is really a last resort, especially where the hardware may be suspect or intermittently failing.  Static electricity discharges when not using a static wrist guard can result in hardware issues that are difficult to trace down.

I'd start by checking the health of the hard drive and go from there since the recovery partition should be intact and unchanged from date of creation.  Check drive cables, capacitor condition, excessive heat, weak or failing PSU, etc.,.

What other BSOD halt errors have you seen?
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
UI version 1.0.814

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »
As far as checking the hardware, Eddy, mchain ... I had already tried that since back in 2013 when I was experiencing the problems from the get go of starting to use it.  I ran the Windows Diags that come with the computer and nothing wrong was found.  I then ran the Memtest86 Diags, which from what I read are supposed to be one of the if not the best Diags out there, at least as far as consumer versions go.  Memtest86 appeared to be impressive-looking, but there too ... nothing wrong was found with this computer's hardware.  Everything passed with flying colors.

Later on, I went as far as to take a big chance and installed 2 brand new 2 Gig RAM modules on the off chance that maybe it was some intermittent RAM problem that wasn't being caught by the Diags.  Well, that was indeed a big gamble that did not pay off.  The computer didn't get any better and I was now out more money than I cared to have tossed down the drain.

As far as what OS I am using?  It's there in my Siggy ... Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit.  The computer is a Compaq Presario SR5710y with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4450e Processor.

I'll see if any of the BSOD errors that I encounter today are remotely useful-looking.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:02:47 PM »
This really sounds like the motherboard or psu was broken right from the start.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Yeah, that sounds about right.
It's not likely to be something that can be fixed on a forum.
The computer just needs to be retired ... preferably dropped off of a very high cliff.

Thanks, guys.  I'll kick it to the curb and get a replacement as soon as I can.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »
very problematic from when I first started using it sometime in 2013
Depending on where you live, it may be that you still have warranty on it. Checking for it only takes a little of your time.
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home

Not only check on that webpage, but also check your local laws.
It happens a lot that suppliers/manufacturers say there is no warranty but that the law says otherwise.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »
Yeah, that sounds about right.
It's not likely to be something that can be fixed on a forum.
The computer just needs to be retired ... preferably dropped off of a very high cliff.

Thanks, guys.  I'll kick it to the curb and get a replacement as soon as I can.
Always check hardware first.  If known good, then go to software issues.  Could still be under warranty.  If so, back up personal data and return RMA and wait for new.  I'd go as far as removing all personal data.
Windows 11 Home 23H2
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
UI version 1.0.814